New 10 gallon saltwater tank! Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cullins0437

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello my name is Holly...I have a 10 gal tank got water in it and the filter is running...I know I have to buy a protein skimmer and sand etc. can someone send me step by step on what to buy first...and I can't seem to find what all has to stay balanced to keep a healthy saltwater aquarium...can someone give me advice? Would greatly appreciate it...thanks

Attachments

• image-3867971527.jpg
    image-3867971527.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 71
Ya need to cycle the tank first .. Live rock and or some live sand would be a good start.. If your a beginner .. I would advise starting with live rock and bare bottom.. It will be easier to keep clean.do a little research and decide what kind of tank you want... Live reef with coral.. Fish only.. The choices are endless.. Buy a test kit and refractor .. Or hydrometer .. You will need these to check salinity and water peramiters..I hope this helps a little.. And if ya have questions .. Just ask ?

Okay thanks...I will probably get sand because its more realistic to the ocean plus I want the responsibility...I am 100% wanting to do this...how do I cycle it? Turn the filter off,add the sand let the sand settle? And then turn the filter back on? Won't the sand get sucked up through the filter?

Sry about all the questions? Never had sand always used gravel with freshwater. Could run a freshwater tank with my eyes closed;) new at saltwater

Always leave filter running.. Fill tank with distilled water.. Add yer salt and get salinity where ya want it.. Then add some live rock.. Biggest rule of salt water is be patient!! Let the tank run for about 2 weeks.. Get a few damsel fish .. They can Handel the strong nitrates and harsh conditions your tank will go through.. Don't worry .. LCD will take them back so you won't be stuck with them.. I'd leave them in tank for another 2 weeks .. Test your levels .. And do research online. Be careful to research anything you buy.. My tank has been up for 4 mounths .. I have some live coral.. Polyps .. A mandarin .. Clown that lives in a bubble tip anem .. And a few other things.. I kept my domino damsel too.. But everything is alive and healthy.

I don't agree with the fish-in cycling method. Sure there are arguments that it's not as bad if it's done correctly, but it's rather cruel putting a fish through high levels of toxic ammonia and nitrite. Then after it's gone through all that stress and trying to survive it's returned. And nitrates come after the ammonia and nitrite which means the cycle is done which usually takes about a month or two. Damsels are very hardy, yet sometimes they die b/c the levels are just too toxic.I really don't recommend damsels anyway b/c they are very aggressive/territorial and hard to catch (might need to take rocks out to catch :nono:). IMO the shrimp method or using pure ammonia to cycle your tank is much easier and there's no worry, feeding, or changing water (which could delay the cycle).

Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

I suggest washing the sand first (don't have to, but it can cloud your water A LOT). This is for non-live sand, not live sand. Then add water. RO/DI water is best, but since you're a beginner and prob. not wanting to invest $200 in a system and time, distilled water might be your best option. Your LFS might sell RO/DI.

Like the other poster said get the equipment based on what type of system you want (corals or no corals are the main choices). Soft corals don't require as strong lighting as hard corals do, so decide if you want soft or hard corals or both types. Lighting can be expensive, but craigslist might have some good deals. You don't need a protein skimmer since your tank is so small, keeping up on weekly water changes should keep your aquarium balanced in that aspect. A small powerhead would be a good idea to add to the list too, and salt of course. I use Red Sea pro coral salt, but Instant ocean reef crystals or standard salt,kent marine, and tropic marin are all great brands.

Sound like everyone else covered the basics what kind of corals ( if any ) are you looking to do. We could suggest lights.

Back
Top Bottom