New 10 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xmaryelizabeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had previous fish experiences- all with bettas who all lived several years each. Though when I finally got this 10 gallon tank and filled it with different fish, they have all died. So, I took the plunge again in an attempt to master this art of tanks. This tank consists of 1 Parrot Cichlid (Tang), 1 Pleco (Pez), 1 Neon (Limon) and 1 Female Guppy (Bonita). I have a divider in the tank. The Cichlid on one side and the others on the other side. My Pleco, has barely even eaten the 2 algae wafers I put in from yesterday to today. He also doesn't seem to be attaching much to anything. He swims an awful lot and from what I see in other tanks, they don't move all that much. My female guppy sits only at the top of the tank. Now, granted when I received her from my husband she came with two males and they were all "for adoption" so I'm not sure if she is pregnant or not- the male guppies are in a separate bowl and seem to be doing fine, despite not having much in their bowl- You can tell I wasn't expecting to get 3 guppies...The neon fish I know won't live very long because I've read that fish who have been pumped with neon dye don't live much longer than 3-6 months. My Parrot Cichlid seems to be doing very fine, eats plenty and swims a lot.

My last 10 gallon tank I had 3 Oscars and 2 Plecos. Things were going great! They were all eating, the tank stayed clean and then one day they all just stopped moving as much and then before I knew it, 5 hours later they were all dead. I'm not sure what happened, but would like to fix any problems because I am in love with fish and I love having them- not just bettas...

HELP PLEASE!:(

xmaryelizabeth said:
I have had previous fish experiences- all with bettas who all lived several years each. Though when I finally got this 10 gallon tank and filled it with different fish, they have all died. So, I took the plunge again in an attempt to master this art of tanks. This tank consists of 1 Parrot Cichlid (Tang), 1 Pleco (Pez), 1 Neon (Limon) and 1 Female Guppy (Bonita). I have a divider in the tank. The Cichlid on one side and the others on the other side. My Pleco, has barely even eaten the 2 algae wafers I put in from yesterday to today. He also doesn't seem to be attaching much to anything. He swims an awful lot and from what I see in other tanks, they don't move all that much. My female guppy sits only at the top of the tank. Now, granted when I received her from my husband she came with two males and they were all "for adoption" so I'm not sure if she is pregnant or not- the male guppies are in a separate bowl and seem to be doing fine, despite not having much in their bowl- You can tell I wasn't expecting to get 3 guppies...The neon fish I know won't live very long because I've read that fish who have been pumped with neon dye don't live much longer than 3-6 months. My Parrot Cichlid seems to be doing very fine, eats plenty and swims a lot.

My last 10 gallon tank I had 3 Oscars and 2 Plecos. Things were going great! They were all eating, the tank stayed clean and then one day they all just stopped moving as much and then before I knew it, 5 hours later they were all dead. I'm not sure what happened, but would like to fix any problems because I am in love with fish and I love having them- not just bettas...

Well first off is the tank cycled? What are the water parameters. Second the cichlid and pleco should be rehomed ASAP they both get wayyyyyy to big for any tank less that 4 feet long. Also that cichlid is aggressive and will kill your other fish.

Cichlids and plecos have a huge bio load so that could also be a source of problems. Do you have a master rest kit? If not you need to get one. Under 20 bucks on amazon.com

the cichlid is on a side of the tank by himself, i put in a divider. and im not sure how to check anything, i asked petco but there was never any sort of help. so i feel like i jumped in without looking lol.

xmaryelizabeth said:
the cichlid is on a side of the tank by himself, i put in a divider. and im not sure how to check anything, i asked petco but there was never any sort of help. so i feel like i jumped in without looking lol.

No worries, your not the first and certainly not the last. Anyways pretty much don't listen to the help at the LFS unless you personally know them and know that they are there to help and not just sell. You can get a master test kit by API to test the water. Some places do it free but they usually use test strips and strips are very inaccurate. How long has the tank been running. Not having a cycled tank and not understanding fish in and fish less cycles can cause great loss of fish. Ammonia and nitrite are present in uncycled tanks and are extremely toxic and will quickly wipe out a tank if the levels get too high.

A blood parrot or pleco should never be in a 10g tank regardless of whether or not it is divided. Get rid of those fish and get some suitable ones for a 10g.

3 Oscars and 2 plecos in a 10? Are you just trolling us?

Wolfsblood said:
A blood parrot or pleco should never be in a 10g tank regardless of whether or not it is divided. Get rid of those fish and get some suitable ones for a 10g.

3 Oscars and 2 plecos in a 10? Are you just trolling us?

No I don't think they are. Just uninformed. I stated the cichlid and pleco need to go earlier, but right now I just want to try and help them to understand cycling and water params. I was planning on hitting on that again.

It's funny that I just went to petco and asked for more help from someone who has an aquarium at home and once again someone told me that i could have 2 cichlids in a 10 gallon without a problem. i bought a new tank and will be transferring my cichlid and pleco into it since it's much bigger, if they don't pass. i'll be setting it up tonight and i will let it run for awhile and test it. if they die, they die...but next time will definitely be accurate, thanks so much for the help!

xmaryelizabeth said:
It's funny that I just went to petco and asked for more help from someone who has an aquarium at home and once again someone told me that i could have 2 cichlids in a 10 gallon without a problem. i bought a new tank and will be transferring my cichlid and pleco into it since it's much bigger, if they don't pass. i'll be setting it up tonight and i will let it run for awhile and test it. if they die, they die...but next time will definitely be accurate, thanks so much for the help!

What size is the new tank exactly? Add some used filter media in it.

xmaryelizabeth said:
its a 26 gallon.

Okay. That's better than nothing but still too small for the pleco. I would use Craigslist to regime it or go to your LFS and see if they will take it.

xmaryelizabeth said:

Can we see a photo of the neon? It may be a neon tetra(a natural coloration) or it could be dyed. Or you can find an Internet photo that looks like it.

the reason i have all these fish is due to my husband, he knew i wanted fish and then got me all these different kinds as a surprise. the oscars were all my doing but i didnt have time to buy a tank for my oscars before they died. petco said it was ick or something... but now i have all these fish i know nothing about... lol which is why im here.

xmaryelizabeth said:
the reason i have all these fish is due to my husband, he knew i wanted fish and then got me all these different kinds as a surprise. the oscars were all my doing but i didnt have time to buy a tank for my oscars before they died. petco said it was ick or something... but now i have all these fish i know nothing about... lol which is why im here.

Good for you! But I strongly suggest you get rid of the pleco ASAP.

xmaryelizabeth said:
why do i have to get rid of him? he is small.

Most fish do most of their growing in the first few months or years of life. He will be stunted in such a small tank and it will shorten his lifespan.

that's interesting. so if he was in a 10 gallon by himself that wouldnt be ok?

that's interesting. so if he was in a 10 gallon by himself that wouldnt be ok?

No, common plecos need 125 gallon tanks even as babies. You should always keep a fish through its entire life in the tank size it needs as an adult.

Back
Top Bottom