New 100 ltr tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenkslack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Just getting back into the hobby after a spell out for a few years, so want to make sure I do everything correctly this time!

Currently have an empty 100ltr tank to sort. It has a filter that seems to work, but I think I may invest in a new one.

I am looking to create a planted community tank of freshwater tropical fish. So onto the questions.

1) what heater would be suitable for this tank? I have a 100w one in mind, will this be enough. Also does positioning of this matter?

2) what filter should I look at, it has a corner box filter that has become detached, so thinking about looking at a new internal filter. What size and type will I need?

3) what is the best test kit to keep an eye on my levels?

4) how do I go about cycling the tank?

5) any suggestions for types of plants and fish? I would like to have a couple of different species (love tetras and rams) and possibly some shrimp.

Sorry for the long thread, but any help would be great.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

100w should be enough, but I like to oversize a little bit, so I would go with a 150w.

A 26gal tank, you can go with a hang on back filter or a canister of choice. Aquaclear 50 or 70 would be a good choice for hang on back.

I use API master test kit, it seems to be much better than Nutrafin kit.

I'm no expert on tank cycling as I've been going the fish-in cycling.

As far as plants go, they are your choice.

We have a good mix of tetras, Rams and angelfish in our 65g, but Rams tend to be more difficult to care for because they are heavily bred to achieve their colouring. Rams are cichlids, so I wouldn't go with more than 1 male.
Most fish will eat shrimps if they are small enough, so providing hiding spots with Java moss is a good idea for the shrimps.

What is better, internal or hang on back? Is there much difference?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I prefer hang on back as they take up less water space and have more media room for customization

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would not use internal. Either hang on back (HOB) or external canisters. Both provides customizable media room with canisters having much bigger room than HOBs.

I've grown to like canisters and HOB. Both have considerable amount of space for customization. This will vary by brand. Aquaclear HOB's have tons of room while Marineland Penguins hardly have any.

I'm starting to like canisters the most because all you see is an intake/output nozzle or bar. Compared to the whole filter in the tank or a big HOB. Canisters also provide the highest GPH.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom