New 120 litre / 26 UK Gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the stocking shouldnt include a shark though,just saying(again)

I know I know, but that's what the current "idea" for the stock is based on all the threads and information being given.

About the gourami and the barbs, I've never had them together, but what I've heard is that the aggression on other fish starts to dies down when the barbs are kept in larger groups. But there's always an exception!

If I go for 8 danios, 8 barbs, could I get 2 gourami? Male and female pair? As my shark dream slips slowly away... Yoyo loaches instead maybe?!

Yoyos would be fine I think, I think they need a school too, 6 or more I think but am not sure, i wouldn't put one male with one female they will fight, need a better ratio and Even then ur taking chances I think. I wasnt sure mine would be ok when I put them in, all fine now tho, so fingers crossed.

What weren't you sure about? Gourami numbers? Should it be 2 females to one male then?

Hopefully someone will chime in who has more expertise but I put two females to my one male and he's so far been ok, but they can be very aggressive to their own kind. So I wasn't sure if it would be love or fights. Still no "love" as such. Lol. I just wouldn't put only two as IMO I think they would fight over territory be it male or female.

In that case you could do say;

3 gourami
8 barbs
8 danios
4 yoyo loach

That would look nice and make it a very active tank, With ground crew mid level and top swimmers? Some snails also to mop up?

^ this sounds like and awesome stocking list ^
That's a large bio load for a 120liter but if its well planted and well filtered you should be fine
Man this thread really blew up!

In that case you could do say;

3 gourami
8 barbs
8 danios
4 yoyo loach

That would look nice and make it a very active tank, With ground crew mid level and top swimmers? Some snails also to mop up?
I am not positive, but maybe only 6 barbs and 6 danios would be a bit better in a tank that size. Well, maybe you could start with schools of 6 and then see if it seems like schools of 8 would be ok in that amount of space. Just to be on the safe side. :)
It sounds like a lovely group though. It should be a very attractive tank.(y)

Yeah was looking back thinking maybe that's a bit much, so could do 6 of each or loose the yoyo's. It's up to them really there's alot of choice and making ones you have to live with for years shud be thought through, hence why were all here to help ey. Have you thought of rams? Maybe as a centre piece? I don't know anything about them, but I love the colours. Would rams and gourami go, anyone? How abut rams and barbs? Any other ideas from people?

Rams are nice but wouldn't fit with the asian theme. I think if you went with 6 each on the schoolers you would still be able to get 4 yoyos and then you would still have your your bottom dwellers.

Well, danios have nicely cycled the tank, gouramis are in, but I think the male has a bit of a temper!
We will have to see how he copes with a few tigers in a few weeks time, will keep you updated!!

I had the same problem but I found a thread about bully fish, and followed some advice, which was to separate him in a bucket when he starts to pick on others, unfortunately I tried but found that transferring him from tank to bucket and back was a bit of a mission, and stressful I imagine, so I got my big net, and just separated him in the net for five minute intervals whenever he got a bit too pushy. I think watching the other fish through a net got to him cause after doing it 3-4 times he's literally become a different fish and the aggression towards the females has pretty much gone completely.

I guess that could be something to try If he starts to get a bit more pushy, but wait and see his behaviour once he settles in obviously. Just my experience I thought might be helpful.

They are gold/honey goramis, normal sized ones, not dwarves and I hope not giants... Or I might have a problem!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom