New 125L commumity tank setup with a bullying little barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tallpaul003

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys

So I cycled, I got bored, I cycled some more, I got really bored and all seemed good so am now adding fish and they're loving it.

Started with 2x boesmani rainbow fish and 3x cherry barbs (1xM, 2xF). First night sat watching them, they were a little timid and one of the rainbowfish just spent the night head up tail down wheelieing around the surface. When I cam back from work the next day, I was going to keep an eye on him but sadly he's passed away. Checked with my LFS and took the body to them and they were certain the stress of the move was to blame (5 minutes drive!) which I accepted and got 4x glow light tetras in place of him (RIP).

Added them to the tank and they, along with the remaining rainbow and the barbs seemed to get along ok, all exploring their new world and settling in.

2 days later, the female barbs seem to have schooled with the tetras and enjoying the whole tank, the rainbow is in a world of his own entertaining everyone, but the male barb seems to have clamed territory and chases off the others from his plant. Can't work out if he's bullying or playing as they come straight back to him. No nips or bits of fins missing from what I've seen. I'd like to think it's playful but he's a bit of a loner.

Am thinking maybe get a few more barbs in to give him some company... some male ones so they can talk about cars and football you think?? that's the only thing I can really think of, he just needs a little company.

That's my only real thought for adding more at the moment. Still a relatively fresh tank so in time I would like to add a couple kribensis cichlids, couple of cory catfish, a pleccy, and a ruby shark which would take me to the tank limit and I don't want to overstock.

I've added a few pics to show my tank setup. It's a juwel Rio 125, standard heater and powerhead, own filter media and carbon rings. Thoughts gratefully received on décor (don't want it too cluttered) and if you think Bertie the bullying barb is a nuisance or just being cheeky.

Thanks all in advance

Attachments

• IMG_8008.jpg
    IMG_8008.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_8003.jpg
    IMG_8003.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7996.jpg
    IMG_7996.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_8002.jpg
    IMG_8002.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 100
um rainbows need 5+
and cerry barbs+5
you might try neon tetras or cardnill tetras +5

Thanks. What's wrong with the glow light tetras?? Wanted something different to neons, seem to see them everywhere!!
Was gonna get another 2 or 3 barbs tomorrow. Make a big difference if they're makes or females? Thinking Bertie would be happier with a bloke to talk to!
Rainbow seems fine on his own, guy at lfs said they're not really schooling which is why I didn't get more.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

or a school of glowlight and on cherry barb if you whant to breed them 1m 2fm but schools of five or they get nippy

Wow, have only had an aquarium with fish in for a week... Am not thinking of breeding anytime in the near future!!! Ha ha
Will def get more barbs tomorrow, might hold off for a week with the tetras. Don't want to overstock too much too soon and they seem more than happy as a four right now. Thanks for your help ;)

your welcome and you should wait about 2-3 week for the water to stablise for your other fish lol

and on the glowlights you can add the 5 since they are smaller fish

and you can add 4-5 corys and a krib but id avoid the shark

Well I went to lfs last week and got another two female barbs and two males to take them upto seven with a higher female mix... and got caught up in the moment and got a male rainbow and a female.
As soon as they were in the main tank, female pretty much hid and the males just chased each other and their front end blackened. Read somewhere that a male and female weren't a good ratio so left the males and took the female back. Instead of being good, I got two glows to bring their school up to six.

All seems pretty gelled and peaceful. Barbs are loving it and playful all the time apart from the original smaller male, he's still a bit of a loner. The rainbows are active and always swimming around getting on great. The glows aren't as active as they were and mix in twos or threes but never as a school. They've all learnt that when I get home from work it's feeding time and EVERYONE comes out to play which is a great sight!!

Trying desperately to be good and hold off any more fish for at least another week. Revised my original plan and might just get six corys. Leaning towards maybe three panda and three peppered. No pleco. No shark. Although I would (in time) like maybe one larger peaceful fish that doesn't need a school !!!

If it were me, i'd go 6 corys, 1 pleco, 4 smaller cichlids, 5 cherry barbs, 6 hatchets for the top, 3 boesemans and keep your cichlids as singles and not pairs.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Fyi the 4 leafy plants in your tank are not aquatic and will die off soon. If you want large leaved plants you might want to look into some sword plants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom