New 132g stocking question/options/ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys I am currently setting up my 132g 6 foot long tank and already start thinking my stocking options. Currently it's gonna be a FOWLR tank but I can foresee in near future it will become a reef tank. Therefore I am also choosing fishes that will be compatible not only among themselves but will be reef compatible as well so that when I add corals later on I will not have to catch them. How does the following list sounds to you guys:

- 8 x Anthias
- 8 x Green/Blue Chromis
- 1 x Regal/Blue Tang
- 1 X Yellong Tang
- 1 x Naso Tang
- 1 x Ocellaris Clown Fish

What do you guys think of compatiblity among these fishes? Will this become an aggresive tank? I don't like aggressive fish. Any fish you guys will take away/add to the list? Is the bioload for the above list too much?

Hope you guys can help me out here. Thanks.

It looks OK except maybe you might want to skip some of the 16 schooling fish. I have a 125 which is a 6 ft tank and I tend to think 20 fish might be too much. Maybe you can make a choice between the anthias and chromis. This is just IMO and maybe others will chime in.

I might be able to drop the numbers of the chromis and anthias but they are just sooo cool to watch them school together. I like that feel of the real coral reef we see on TV with so many of these fish schooling together.

Drop the chromis and get 10 Anthias IMO. Anthias are much better looking fish.

The regal tang is the only one that could become belligerent.
What method of filtration are you considering? You would want serious biological to compensate for feeding time.
Chromis only school appropriately when there is a potential threat from a possible predator. That is what encourages schooling behavior. If the threat of imminent death is not there, the chromis will begin to act like damsels, and slowly take each other out, one by one...
What species of anthias are you considering? If you are serious about keeping these fish, I would investigate culturing shrimp colonies for food source. These fish need to be fed at least three or more times a day.

Yeah I sort of forgot anthias need to be fed at least 2 times a day. I might even considering taking them off the list now because I don't like to do too much feeding and foul up the water too quick. More feeding=more waterchange.

A revised list will be 10 chromis + cleaner red line skunk + 2 peppermint shrimps to take care of glass anemones and no anthias but all other remain the same what do you guys think?

The tank is 1.5 foot wide, 6 foot long, 2 foot high. Why dropping the naso? Too big? My tank is not big enough considering not many other big fish?

Well naso tangs can get 1.5 ft long and it seems like you'll have too many tangs together for a 135 gal. tank.

Other people have kept different tangs together, but I don't think naso's fit in that category (I'm not completely sure on this, so don't take my word for it).

Too many tangs? Initially I was even considering 6 adult size tangs now I have reduced to only these 3 types still too many tangs for a 132g??? Any other could chime in would be very much appreciated.

I like the shape of the powder blue tang but I heard they will be hard to acclimatise and quite aggresive that's why I choose the naso instead. I was thinking of keeping the following 6 adult size tangs before but changed my mind:

-1 powder blue tang
-1 yellow tang
-1 regal blue tang
-1 naso tang
-1 whitecheek tang
-1 convict tang

Hey my post dissappeared! I just said that I'd forget the chromis and go with 10 Anthias. :)

Back
Top Bottom