New 155 gallon and 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did research. Mixed reviews. Many said it wouldn't work, some said they are fine together. Believe it or not I didn't just go buy random fish. So far they are fine. I will update if anything changes.

That's the point. It's mixed reviews and many said it didn't work because under normal circumstances it won't work. That arowana will get huge and might make a meal of that discus one day if it doesn't stress itself to death first.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

No, the point is the Arowana is captive bred and has been switched to floating pellets and shrimp so it won't grow quite as quickly. The instinct to chase fish should also be lessened. The only fish in the tank that eat live are the discus eating black worms. I didn't post here to argue with someone who thinks they know all the parameters and intangibles. I pay close attention to them and enjoy doing it.

I didn't think that at all PoppaRyno, in fact I appreciate the comment. I'm just saying that I've read some people having success with them and I think I can too. I hope I am right. What I don't appreciate is when people are closed-minded and think they know all possible outcomes.

Understandable. As long as you pay good enough attention youll be ok. By doing that At least youll know when its getting not ok if it does, and relocate accordingly.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I hope this works out for you but as that Arowana gets up to its adult size that tank would not be enough for it alone not even counting the discus and ray. I hope you either have a plan to upgrade in a year or two or a relocation plan. Good Luck though.

I don't think the tank is big enough for the full grown ray either to be honest. You're gonna need a bigger home for both of those fish unless you've got the absolute smallest species of freshwater ray.

Motoros get pretty good size, ive got a friend that moved his to a biiig kiddie pool when it got 38". Dang ray loves it too. Just a thought for the future.

Roflmfao

Attachments

• 1429985343949.jpg
    1429985343949.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 150
Putting that caption on the picture was harder than breeding them.

Any chance you could swap your motoro for a hystrix or a reticulata(assuming you don't have plans to upgrade)? Your tank is just big enough for one of those species as adults but a motoro will outgrow it. Trust me, I've done an ungodly amount of research on those rays- I even almost chose a thesis project based on them instead of on discus. I'm not being closeminded or anything- I'm just trying to help you. I'm assuming that ray cost you an insane amount of money, you're better off if you use that money for a ray that will last its full life in your tank.

If you're planning on upgrading, then totally disregard everything I just said, and instead just promise me pictures of the upgraded tank with a monster stingray!

No, the point is the Arowana is captive bred and has been switched to floating pellets and shrimp so it won't grow quite as quickly. The instinct to chase fish should also be lessened. The only fish in the tank that eat live are the discus eating black worms. I didn't post here to argue with someone who thinks they know all the parameters and intangibles. I pay close attention to them and enjoy doing it.

Sorry if I came across as arrogant. I'm actually very open minded and that's why I'm on the forum. I just cannot logically see discus comfortably living with a 3 foot arowana. Tank raised or not. That's like me having a captive bred tiger in an apartment. I feed it salad. One day it's going to get tired of me and that salad and I'll end up like that lady in New York that actually did this except for the salad part. It just doesn't seem tangible to keep such a large fish with such a graceful gentle fish.

And yes if it's a Motoro Ray, bigger tank will be needed.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Just a quick update! All are doing wonderful! The discus will follow my children as they walk around the tank. So smart. Even the Arowana comes over and waits for food when I open the lid. The Ray... well he is just amazing to watch. My kids (4 and 5) love it when he goes up the side of the tank and "flies" down. They say he looks like Batman when he is doing it.

On a side note, we are developing some algae on the tank. It was expected since the tank is directly next to a window. I was wondering what kind of algae eater I could get that would get along well with the Ray. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N915V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1431950851834.jpg
    1431950851834.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 1431950885311.jpg
    1431950885311.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 1431950911250.jpg
    1431950911250.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 1431950937333.jpg
    1431950937333.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 135
Nothing I can think of that wouldn't get eaten or is incompatible.

Being in sunlight algae is just going to be a constant battle. Algae feeds on sunlight that's how it grows so well in nature.

Caleb

Another quick update! All are doing extremely well!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1434631812353.jpg
    1434631812353.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 1434631842699.jpg
    1434631842699.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 1434631860223.jpg
    1434631860223.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 80

Latest posts