New 20 gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I wasn't saying but an mp10 lol. The two 425s will work great for any corals ime.

So if I went with 425's it won't be too much flow for softs and Lps? Or should I just stick with the 240's? I can't afford two mp10's at the moment

You don't need two mp10s. One is enough but that's beside the point. If you're just doing lps and softies a 425 and 240 would be fine.

It may take some playing around with but I doubt it would be too much flow. And you wouldn't need 2 mp10s, I run 1 and a k nano 425 on both my 40s

This is only a 20 gal tall that I'm working on

Cool cool. So general consensus is return the smart wave and one 240 and pick up a 425 and put the both pointed toward each other 1/3 of the way down from the top?

I agree. Get at least the one 425 koralia. Those 240's are about worthless. IMO, 2 of the 425's wouldn't be too much. Return the wave device. It's not necessary. Aiming 2 power heads at each other will make random current anyway.

You do not need the 90 degree optics. I didn't even need them for a 30" deep tank. 120 is fine. The reef breeders unit is basically the same as the ones on ebay. The only difference is the name. They have the same guts.

Seriously aiming them at each other will randomize current? I would have thought that it would keep the same path constantly. That's good to know!

So you are saying pull the lenses off of the light and let it do it's thing?

If they are not glued, do exactly that, assuming you don't like the look with them on. And as for the random current, you will see what I mean when you hook them up.

Well for the current, here it's a bad drawing but it explains it:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395866063.943978.jpg

When the flow meets, it pushes each other outwards in order for more to get through. If you push you hands together enough to a point where there is too much strength, they'll start I shake and then you will burst apart. Make sense?

If they are not glued, do exactly that, assuming you don't like the look with them on. And as for the random current, you will see what I mean when you hook them up.

I just want to double check... Two 425's with my aquaclear 70 will not be too my flow for softies and Lps? I appologize if I sound redundant but I want to make sure I get it right the first time. Lol

I had a lot more flow than that in a 30 breeder, but have never actually kept a 20, so I'm not 100% sure, but I do have a smaller Koralia nano PH here and I seriously think it's so pathetic I can't find a single use for it. I just don't see how the 240s are going to cut it.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395870372.118644.jpg

This is the beginning of the build. 20 gallon tall with freshwater still in it. Tonight I'm going to empty it out completely and wipe it down with a vinegar/water mix. Hopefully get one coat of black paint on the back.

Back
Top Bottom