New 20 gallon Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian1357

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been away from fishkeeping for a few years. However recently, after seeing some very nice planted tanks I got the urge to get my sleeves wet again.
After some research I decided on a 20 gallon long low tech planted tank with a single species. Those being Endlers live bearers.
My first question is what is the best substrate? or does in not really matter?
Plant wise I was going to with some Java Moss. Any suggestions for other plants
As I would like this tank to be self sustaining I plan to introduce a small colony of breeding stock and let nature take it's course.
Any advice
Cheers
Ian

Hi. Substrate is only as good as the nutrients that you put in it. Eco complete is a good starter for plant growth and I like the natural look, rather than equal sized pieces of gravel or sand. It's not the cheapest option and the nutrients don't last for ever, it will need topping up with root tabs. Gravel and sand work well if you use root tabs from day one. Some people use a potting type compost layer with a topping layer of gravel or sand. I don't like that idea myself as they can eventually mix in together.
Java Moss and Java Fern can be tied to rocks or wood with fishing line and should not be planted in the substrate, as they rot, so they benefit from a liquid fertiliser, I use seachem comprehensive and Excel to provide a carbon source. I've planted up a variety of crypts which grow well under low to medium lights but can be tricky initially as they don't like being moved. If they die back just leave them as the root system may well start sending up leaves again. I would stay away from the soft stem plants like elodea, they just bolt for the light and become unsightly. Many of the dwarf swords look good in the smaller tank but are heavy root feeders and will benefit from root tabs.
I have had many plant failures in the past and have now cracked it, where I failed was expecting plants to grow in simple gravel with no food or carbon source.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I personally prefer eco complete also or pool filter sand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For other plants cabomba, Java fern, jungle Val are very good. I don't know about endler's but, if you just leave guppies by themselves to breed, the adult guppies will eat the fry! Separate the pregnant female when pregnant and remove it after birth. At least that is how I bred guppies!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom