new 20g tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^+1

actually, either way it will be algae city, that much lighting would put youi in the high range if total 48W with reflectors, I'd just run 1 bulb.....unless you do DIY co2, or you have A LOT of surface agitaiton to get a bit more Co2 into the tank

Using a marineland powerhead for extra surface agitation&also upon recieving the new fixture will using a nutrafin co2 setup rated for a 20g tank..I will be doing an open top aquarium also,the future should sit about 5 1/2 in above the rim...

^+1

actually, either way it will be algae city, that much lighting would put youi in the high range if total 48W with reflectors, I'd just run 1 bulb.....unless you do DIY co2, or you have A LOT of surface agitaiton to get a bit more Co2 into the tank

Don't mean to be rude, but I think you got that backwards. In a planted tank, the less surface agitation the better. When you use a powerhead, filter, etc. to move the water's surface, all you are doing is causing CO2 to gas off and leave the tank.

I will strongly agree that 48W is over 2 watts per gallon for your tank, so you will theoretically be in the high light range. For the plants you have, a single bulb would in fact be better since they are all medium - low light. T5HO are so efficient that if you only had 1 WPG you could grow all of your plants.

If you do keep both bulbs on you will have to stick to a strict fert scheduel and have to have DIY or pressurized CO2. DIY CO2 isn't that daunting, I am running a miniature version on my 2.5g and I can tell the plants appreciate it. As for ferts, I would recommend PPS Pro dosing system if you are interested.

Back
Top Bottom