New 20gal - what to stock it with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfoust

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday I picked up a used 20gal tank complete with decorations, light, filter, new gravel, etc. Started cleaning last night, hoping to get started cycling tonight. I've been pondering the fish thing...

I was considering getting a big a$$ school of neons or something like that, but we have little guys in my son's 10gal. I was hoping to get something a little larger, so I was considering a few Ram Cichlids and maybe a few Dwarf Gouramis, and a couple of Cory Cats or Oto Cats. I like the Corys more, I think, but could go Oto if there's a good reason they'd be better. Thoughts?

You could do a pair of blue rams and a school of neons if you wanted. I prefer cories since they are more active, I think, than otos. I like to see them swim around together and sift through the sand. I would lean against having multiple Dwarf Gouramis in the same tank, they are rather territorial.

I agree with the above. Multiple dwarf gourami (colisa lalia regardless of color) will probably not get along long term. A pair of rams or even a trio of another apisto would work. There are actually quite a few options for a 20G if you aren't stuck shopping at a bread and butter chain. Honey gouramies, apistos, killies, oh my! :)

Edit: I just noticed you were in Atlanta. Check out the Atlanta Area Aquarium Association. There are quite a few breeders that make fish available that you simply won't see in an LFS.

Thanks for the reply! I like the look of the Corys more than the otos anyhow, so that's good :) I really like the Gouramis - would a single one be okay with a few rams?

AFAIK, all I have is the standard chain places around here - Petsmart, Petco, etc :( Wish we had something more legit than that!

You caught me editing. lol

Check out the AAAA or there's an old school shop in Marietta called Atlantis Aquarium that gets in some very cool "odd ball" fish. We got our Gudgeons (which would also work in a 20) and pygmy hatchets from him.

One Dwarf gourami would be ok, but they do tend to not be that hardy. They are over farmed and exposed to hormones to create colorful males. The stocks have been weak and riddled with disease for the past couple of years.

Thanks for the advice! I'm on the south side of town, so getting up to the ATL and getting fish is tough, but I guess I have some time to plan a trip up there while I am waiting for the tank to cycle.

Back
Top Bottom