New 25g kent bio reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loftyfiasco

Aquarium Advice Regular
So it begins!!

Today the water went in. Monday the live rock. Follow me on this build and please offer advice. Will make sure I add loads of pix

Attachments

• image-2537933697.jpg
    image-2537933697.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 194
Had 15 years of freshwater experience, but this is my first marine tank. Know what stock I'm after. More excited about corals. Guy in the shop said u can keep hard corals in this tank. What do u reckon?

I reckon we need some details on this setup. What type of lighting, how are you cycling? What kind of stock are you thinking about, corals included?

Awesome!! Your tank looks great!!! First question. If you put the right amount of salt in at set up. How long till the salinity test will be right?

Stock wise. Just the usuals. Gonna focus on loads of coral. And shrimps etc. can u put hard corals in this tank? I hear u can.

Loftyfiasco said:
Awesome!! Your tank looks great!!! First question. If you put the right amount of salt in at set up. How long till the salinity test will be right?

Stock wise. Just the usuals. Gonna focus on loads of coral. And shrimps etc. can u put hard corals in this tank? I hear u can.

We need to know your light setup. For example, my cube is running 25 3w LEDs.

You should test your salinity in 24 hours. Own a refractometer? If not, your going to want one!

And we are talking saltwater here, just the usual isn't normally and applicable answer lol

Visited lfs. Put a cup full of salt in and bang perfect!! Nowgonna get that and the temp stable before putting in the live rock.

Lighting wise, not sure in the technical names but it's the stock set that comes with the Kent. 3 diff switches and hella bright.

Fish wise, just nano fish. Even though this is bigger than a nano.

You need to looks at the bulbs/LEDs. Figure out what they are. Most lights will not support sps, mabye not even lps. Are the fluorescent bulbs? Maybe T5HO. Of so, the stock lighting may only be good for softies.

Just don't want to see you buy corals then have the die. Sps and lps cost a lot of money!

This is a pic of the tag on my nano. See if you have one. Breaks down my lighting specs.

Yep that's the ones! Hard corals if placed at the top be ok? Really want the green torch coral

You can probably do a green torch. This falls under lps. You cannot keep sps corals, mostly just softies and some lps. Make sure those bulbs are replaced every 9-10 months.

Readingexcalibur said:
You can probably do a green torch. This falls under lps. You cannot keep sps corals, mostly just softies and some lps. Make sure those bulbs are replaced every 9-10 months.

Cheers for the tip.

Lfs hooked me up with a big bucket with coral attached for £70. So happy

Attachments

• image-3757962755.jpg
    image-3757962755.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 137
  • image-882551867.jpg
    image-882551867.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 174
Better pic

Attachments

• image-3514214105.jpg
    image-3514214105.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 157
Rock looks great! Keep up the good work. However, don't be surprised if the coral doesn't make it. The cycle will more than likely kill the coral. Heavy amounts of ammonia and nitrite are unavoidable, but extremely crucial to the well being of the tank. Expect 3 weeks to a month for a completed cycle.

Thanks. Yeah I must admit I was surprised the Lfs guy gave me this. He is an old fella with a fountain of knowledge. Nice chap that saw no problem at all. Any idea what coral the big one is?

Maybe a purple montipora encrusting coral. Sometimes called a cabbage coral. If I'm wrong, someone will chime in and correct this.

Here's a better pic of the 3 corals that came with the live rock. Would love to know what they are.

Attachments

• image-295278820.jpg
    image-295278820.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 115
Well the bottom ones are pulsating xenia (soft coral). The brown ones are aiptasia anemone's and are considered a pest that will overrun your tank, sting corals, and possible hurt fish. Freaking things are the only thing that will guarantee survive the cycle. You need to kill them. Still thinking the same on the other.

Back
Top Bottom