New 29 Gallon Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sms1852

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need some advice. My husband bought the kids a 29 gallon Top Fin Kit. First mistake he bought a 30 gallon stand instead of a 29 gallon one. Please tell me this is okay . I was skeptical but hubby called Petsmart and Petsupermarket said it was okay. I wanted to replace the Top Fin 30 filter with an Aquaclear 50 because I read it's the best HOB. Hubby brought home a Penguin 75. Should I return the Penguin filter & get the Aquaclear? Is a Penguin 75 overkill for a 29 gallon. It doesn't fit in the cover opening either. I put Tahitian Moon sand & a couple plants from my old tank. My old tank was a 2.5 gallon so this is a big upgrade. Right now I only have 1 old female guppy in there. I'm planning on adding 3 juvenile angelfish and 2 corys once it is cycled. IMG_1160.JPG What plants would you suggest & how many? What about driftwood should I get real or fake?

Just came back from exchanging the filter. I got the Aquaclear 50. I just have the led lights that came with the kit.

You'll want more cories than just two, at least 5, not sure how many angels would be good for that setup though, especially if you get a breeding pair

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just added Driftwood & am in love with it. When I opened my Aquaclear 50, it was broken. So I exchanged it for an Aquaclear 70.

Attachments

• IMG_1209.JPG
    IMG_1209.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 186
Off to great start. A black background would hide the cords and window. Poster board is cheap and easy since tank is set up.

Thanks Flchamp, I took your advice & put up black construction paper. Unfortunately I came one today to find one of my guppies dead on the filter intake. She was deformed & didn't seem to be swimming as much as the other too. My ammonia is at 0.5 the same level it was at yesterday. Should I do a water change? Also in my research a lot of people suggest taking the carbon filter out of their AC filters. I also read that carbon is helpful for plants, so I'm confused. My goal is to create a low tech planted tank. I ordered root tabs & flourish.IMG_1217.JPGIMG_1216.JPG

Background looks good. Carbon is helpful removing odors and meds. Much controversy over its possible abilities to remove micros/traces. It is not necessary to use carbon. Do your research and make your decision. I do not use it. I use purigen instead.

If ammonia is .5 id do a wc yes. Prime may lock it up but id rather do a wc.

tip: you can put some sponges over the intake tubes. it will keep some fish and fry from getting sucked up into the filter and the impeller. it will cut the flow down a bit but you also don't have to clean the filter pads as often.

Stainless steel filter intake screens are another option. They don't clog as easily as sponges and the amount of surface area means that they have less pull yet draw in the same amount of water. Case in point, my snails used to get stuck on the intake of the AC50. I added a screen and the snails glide right over it.
I will try to find links for this product.

Went to 4 lfs stores today & found a Cascade Bio Sponge to cover my intake with. Hopefully it works. My husband says I'm obsessed. I let my daughter win & bought her a pink castle for our aquarium. Also bought another Penn Play water motion decoration but forgot more tubing & another check valve. I think we are returning it because we have enough decorations in our tank. Levels today Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 0.25 and Nitrate 5. Hopeful this means it is on it is starting to cycle & will be cycled soon. LFS employee said it should be another 2weeks? Any opinions ?[ATTACH

Attachments

• IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 126
Update: After some hiccups I finally have a plan & a cycled tank. So far I have 5 cories (4 bronze & 1 albino) & 3 diamond tetras. I'm planning on getting 3 more diamonds, 1 albino Cory & 2 small angelfish.IMG_1399.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 117
Just got my DSLR & took pictures of my fish.

Attachments

• IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1404.jpg
    IMG_1404.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 133
I use purigen instead. .

I love the look of your planted tanks. I'm getting Purigen to put in my filter today from amazon. I also ordered a java fern & a timer, also coming today . I plan on setting the timer for 6.5 hrs & upping it 1/2 hr every week right . How do I know when to stop? I'm also dosing Excel & have root tabs. I keep reading about micros & macros but am confused, what is that? My other plants are a melon sword & an anubia on driftwood. My melon swords melted but I have new leaves that just sprouted. I 'd like to fill the back with plants.

Macros are N p k

Micros are other trace elements. Fe mg mn s b cu co mo n ect....

Your lights are not super bright but imo doesnt hurt. Your trying to find balance of par, nutrients, and co2.

I work with macros and micros in day job and after 30 yrs im no expert. Its a big world. After you learn basics study mobile and immobile nutrients and what there deficiencies look like. That get ya going right direction.

Tank off to awesome start.

Back
Top Bottom