New 29 gallon tank build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler3533

Aquarium Advice Activist
So tomorrow is the day where I get my new 29 gallon tank. I'll be getting the $1 per gallon sale so thought might as well go for a 29g rather than 20g. The tank dimensions are 30"L x 12"W x 18"H. I was looking around for filters today and come upon the Aqua clear power filter. I was gonna get the model 30, which is 10-30 gallon free with 150 gph.

**would this filter alone be enough to handle a 29 gallon planted tank?**

I will also be building a stand which will be around 24-30" tall. Haven't figured out the dimensions yet. I will be posting pictures of my purchases.

So stay tuned throughout the build. LOTS of pictures. Will also be needing lots of help and questions answered. Thanks All! :D

StickyOto said:
I have 29g tank I use 2 filter but one will work fine. I have a bubblier too.

Yeah I looked on amazon today and the 50 gallon model is only $30 so I'm going with that one now. And I will also be getting a bubbler as well!

So I am at petco and these two things are on sale. Should I buy one o then to put in during cycling. Please reply quick!

Attachments

• image-560929249.jpg
    image-560929249.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 97
  • image-118710778.jpg
    image-118710778.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 139
Tyler3533 said:
So I am at petco and these two things are on sale. Should I buy one o then to put in during cycling. Please reply quick!

Anyone have any thoughts?

So finally have time to upload some pictures. I was originally gonna build a stand but used on old bakers rack thing and took the top part off. Can't decided Whether I'm gonna stain it a darker color or not. What do you guys think?

Do you guys and gals think that will be able to hold the 29 gallon tank.

Also will the light I purchased work with growing low maintenance plants? Or maybe even moderate?

On amazon now picking out some more supplies. The bill just keeps adding up, but hopefully it will be worth it!

Attachments

• image-2675307312.jpg
    image-2675307312.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 121
  • image-177860766.jpg
    image-177860766.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 93
  • image-4260666906.jpg
    image-4260666906.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 88
  • image-2147611961.jpg
    image-2147611961.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2060103032.jpg
    image-2060103032.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 84
So went to the hardware store today and pick up some ammonia for cycling and 50 pound bag of sand.

Could I use this sand of washed well and tested?
Also is this the right type of ammonia?

Attachments

• image-2644257562.jpg
    image-2644257562.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2474432429.jpg
    image-2474432429.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 80
water weighs 8.35# per gallon, times thst by 29 plus the weight of the tank and all the accessories i'd make sure your stands good for 300#. i'd at least beef up the center of the stand with some vertical pieces. what are you using all that sand for ?

I am not using all the sand. But I was wanting to put it in my tank for the sand

I used sand labeled as playsand. I had to rinse it very well. I would question the stand's ability to safely hold the tank also. My dad is a master carpenter and built my stands, I can give the dimensions if you like. The 29g stand is the same as the 2o long stand. I don't know about the water products. I only use water conditioner and fertilizer.

brennae said:
I used sand labeled as playsand. I had to rinse it very well. I would question the stand's ability to safely hold the tank also. My dad is a master carpenter and built my stands, I can give the dimensions if you like. The 29g stand is the same as the 2o long stand. I don't know about the water products. I only use water conditioner and fertilizer.

Well I would like to use that stand since it was free. Is there anything i could do in the middle part to help? Like some 2x4s vertically

You do have the right ammonia for your cycle, btw I am very jealous because I can't get that stuff up here in the great white north (Ontario). I am now having to do a fish-in cycle :(

i can't tell exactly what the stand framing looks like but i'd at least put a vertical brace in the very center and one in the back. i'd then run a horizontal piece across all 3 braces along the top inside of the cabinet. i hope that makes sense

i can't tell exactly what the stand framing looks like but i'd at least put a vertical brace in the very center and one in the back. i'd then run a horizontal piece across all 3 braces along the top inside of the cabinet. i hope that makes sense

I consulted my father who used to build such things for a living before he retired. He said the same thing about braces. He said brace the front and back and brace the center where the legs are. Also put plywood over the top for the tank to sit on so that it will stay level> he said no matter what it will sag eventually from all the weight. Like I said before if you want pics or dimensions of my stand that I've used for 20 years now let me know. It's very easy to build. I'm not sure how much all the braces will cost you so maybe weigh the pros and cons of both. Hope this helps! Let us know what you decide to do and keep posting pics! I enjoy following along with tank build's. :)

Alright so today went to lowes and found no good sand besides play sand (which is to fine IMO) so I decided to o with this gravel. Gonna clean it for a solidweek before putting in tank.

Would this gravel work for my tank?

Attachments

• image-437257561.jpg
    image-437257561.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 55
The question about your light, i think you would be able to grow crypts,anubias, and java moss. I have those in my tank which has less than a watt per gallon and all of those grow just fine.

Back
Top Bottom