New 30 gallon Reef in the making thread....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great pics Mike, planning an upgrade already,lol. Addiction! Why not go straight to the 125 and save yourself the year of wishing you had gone bigger. :)

WOW ! Mike, your tank is looking GREAT! Those pics are pretty sweet too.

tank

Thanks everybody it has been an interesting journey.

Wooddog, I live in a Studio Condo so room is limited. I may go for a 90. I am going to measure to see if it fits and that will be it until I move.

I am planing on about 5-6 mnths. I am going to go all out with the next one with maybe my 30 as a sump/fuge, MH lights, mixed reef.

I just love the clear blue tint look of the tanks with the MH lights.

A 90 would be awesome...I think the size would be not that much different to a 75- roughly the same length and width but a little more depth. So its decided then....90 it is,lol

Pics, updates, and your opinion

NOW, who is still following this thread?? I have been working on it since the beggining and I have made a succesful zoo, ric, LPS, soft coral reef. When do I stop???

I plan to upgrade and start over in about 4-5 months. Should I continue my updates and pics?? It would be like Reef in the making to end but I dont want to take up space on the forum for nothing. If I do not get 3 or more reply's to this post I will post a full tank pic and end. I thank you all for following and helping.

Here are some pics I took tonight. One of my candy cane, and a closeup of yellow polyps. Also, a pic of my spotted mushroom and its little ones beggining to grow. And 2 frags I got at a frag swap.

Everything is going well. My HOB Fuge that I got used is now crawling with pods for my new scooter blenny!! My hair algae is just about gone and my coraline is booming all over the tank and starting to cover the glass. I have to admit I have not done much testing since I dont have SPS that draib more calcium, using Reef Crystals Salt, and everything has been great with about 10-15% PWC every week.

Attachments

• candy_up_close_152.jpg
    candy_up_close_152.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 25
  • yellow_polyp_closeup_476.jpg
    yellow_polyp_closeup_476.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 380
  • mushroom_babys_115.jpg
    mushroom_babys_115.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 16
  • blue_zoo_frag_116.jpg
    blue_zoo_frag_116.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 19
  • zoo_frag_1_811.jpg
    zoo_frag_1_811.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 15
reef

Yeah that is what I thought Lindsay, maybe periodic. It gets boring with nothing new and people benefit more from Q&A than watching a sicko like me go from nothing to full reef in 2 months and then carrying on until I am broke with no place to live with a 500 gal. Reef!! :twisted: :twisted:

Hope everybody enjoyed the thread and I hope somebody gets something out of it.

I really like this thread Mike, even thought I don't have a saltwater aquarium. I love the pics, esp. the corals. I think that periodic updates would be good!

Shubunkin01

I just read through the whole thing...wow. I didn't realize how long it was. I wish I discovered a Mag Float earlier with all my pics!

I will get the tank shot to you all by tomorrow.

updates..new frags

Thanks Rok, I actually am giving them away. They just grow to fast and I am dominating this tank as a zoo/ric theme. When I get my 90 I am keeping this as the smaller zoo/ric.

Here are some new frags I have been getting off my reef club members. I am all about propogating after reading all the terrible predictions for the worlds reefs.+ a quick tank shot.

My hair algae is just about gone and my corals/fish are all thriving. Not to mention how happy I am with amazing coraline growth. I highly recomend the 192 watt Coralife PC for a 30 gal. for someone who wants to keep soft/zoos/LPS.

Next week I am getting some RPE and bright yellow zoo frags from another reef club member. I also highyl recommend anybody to get involved that has a local reef club. It has been an awesome resource for me. Not to mention there are a few in my club that are nationally known for their reef skills. It is a great place to have local support and you get to meet a lot of people and see alot of great tanks. Most of them have put me to shame. I have seen more full blown fish rooms than I can take!

Hope you all like it.

90 mixed reef coming soon!!

Attachments

• zoo_frag_7_118.jpg
    zoo_frag_7_118.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 9
  • zoo_frag_5_142.jpg
    zoo_frag_5_142.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 10
  • orange_ric_frag_141.jpg
    orange_ric_frag_141.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 19
  • zoo_frag_3_673.jpg
    zoo_frag_3_673.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 14
  • blue_zoo_frag_141.jpg
    blue_zoo_frag_141.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 258
  • good_side_192.jpg
    good_side_192.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 17
mike, i dunno if you remember, but i'd like to set up a sw tank soon, similar size. is it alright if i ask how much to expect if i wanted to do something like yours?

Well if you are dumb like me you could buy everything new and spend about 1200. But now I find deals on used tanks that are great. Do you have a reef club locally?

Dont forget about all the little stuff that all adds up as well. If you want a really nice tank it is going to cost some money but you can reduce that greatly looking for used deals.

Tank update pics.

Here is what my reef looks like as of tonight.

Attachments

• ts3_703.jpg
    ts3_703.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 22
  • ts2_192.jpg
    ts2_192.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 14
  • tank_shot_11-12_149.jpg
    tank_shot_11-12_149.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 20
  • ts4_604.jpg
    ts4_604.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 24
Just found this thread....WOW!!! I am thinking of upgrading my 10 gallon FOWLR into a 30 gallon reef so this thread was awesome. Do you like the 2x96 watt lights? Too much or are they necessary for the corals you have? I'm in the info gathering stage now but you've already helped me out a LOT! Keep the updates coming!

PS what reef club do you belong to? I don't live that far away and would love to get some frags when I get to that point.

tank

Thanks all.

As far as the lights I would not go anything less. These let you keep anything besides SPS.

I belong to BRS. Boston Reefers Society.

Back
Top Bottom