New 30 gallon Reef in the making thread....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
build a frag tank out of acrylic. get a halide for it. sell them.

I am happy to see you have all the answers in 3 weeks :wink:

Unforunately, I live in a studio condo and there is no way to put any more tanks. Along with being a full time college student, and working 45+ hrs a week, I will have to put my lucrative frag business aside.

You can frag in a 10 gallon though Mike. ;)

Seriously, if they start getting too big, fragging just once a month can free up space, give you some extra cash, and keep another coral on the reef. I'm not saying start a frag business, but don't be afraid of it. As soon as I can get a setup, I'm going to convert my 10 gallon into a small frag tank and attempt an LPS fragging session. Fun times.

I was actually planning on setting up a 12 Oceanic Bio-cube soon to go on the island in my kitchen.

Maybe I can incorporate an eggcrate rack for frags?

Mike469 said:
I am happy to see you have all the answers in 3 weeks :wink:

I'm not sure what your trying to get at so I will just take that with a grain of salt and explain I was merely making a fairly reasonable suggestion. I know several people here locally who frag and sell, not as a business but as a hobby.

updates

You can frag in a 10 gallon though Mike.

You ALL are like enablers to an already serious problem! LOL My bank account came over tonight and slapped me around!

So here are a couple of more pics. The zoo in the pic is expanding so fast it is awesome. It is really cool because it is my favorite one. It is weird because this is the zoo that stays open all the time and if it closes it opens right up. I have another that takes for ever! Is this something to do with health?

Anyway, just a full tank under acintics, cool lucky pick or star, and pick of Emerald Crab in Zoo.

Attachments

• emerald_in_zoo2_169.jpg
    emerald_in_zoo2_169.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 15
  • full_act_1013_186.jpg
    full_act_1013_186.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 324
  • great_star_shot_835.jpg
    great_star_shot_835.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 19
Purty. I'm dissapointed with my tank right now...its completely covered in diatoms...probobly going to kill all the beautiful coraline I had growing nicely...probobly going to kill all of my pods, zoos...and everything else that I know know exists...but hopefully it will go away in time....

You tank is looking awesome bro. keep it up.

Nice looking tank, Mike!

Speakerman, the diatoms will go away. They are totally common in new tanks. Trust me. One day they will be there, you will loook again and they'll all be gone. It happens that fast!

tank

Thanks Lindsay,

Speakerman, I second that. I also doubt it will kill anything. It will probably go away soon. I would try to put any corals in a higher flow and clean them off with the tank water using a turkey baster if you are worried. I clean mine off once a week anyway. Alot of stuff can build up in between polyps.

As far as being dissaponited goes, I have been there many times along with aggravation. I can only suspect that I will go through that many more times. I guess it goes along with this hobby. I have been lucky as not to lose one thing yet, but I am prepared. I think all the aggravation and dissapointment is part of learning that will lead to eventually having an awesome reef.

I was thinking of adding a Goby as my last fish. I really want one, as well as a blenny, but I feel that it would be better for me to wait until I upgrade and then can provide an established and larger tank. I am planning on a 75.

How do people feel about six line wrasses. It is another fish I have always wanted.

update

Just to update on my tank situation. I have just about defeated my hair algae. I did two to three small PWC's a week with RO/DI and I skimmed wet, cut on feeding, and cut back on light. Wooh..That was not to bad. I have seen a few horrific looking tanks.

Now hopefully it will stay gone.

Thanks me to. I credit most of it to the use of RO water.

Now I still have a few places where calapura is growing and I am hesitant to take it out yet. Last time I did, I had an algae bloom in 2 days.

I am setting up a refigium tonight so maybe after a week I will take it out.

Coral Growth Pics

I wanted to post some pics of my coral growth. I think it is amazing since I have had them a month and less.

What a thread!! Empty tank to awesome coral growth!!

What do you think?

Attachments

• pink_zoos_1_month_595.jpg
    pink_zoos_1_month_595.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 15
  • pink_zoos_109.jpg
    pink_zoos_109.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 19
  • candy_cane_1_month_444.jpg
    candy_cane_1_month_444.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 24
  • candy_cane_666.jpg
    candy_cane_666.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 19
  • yellow_p_1_month_816.jpg
    yellow_p_1_month_816.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 21
  • yellow_polyps_896.jpg
    yellow_polyps_896.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 23
Thanks. I also will get some pics of my green spotted mushroom soon. I thought it was dying because it looked like it was ripping off the tiny piece of LR.

Today I looked and there is at least 3 that were left behind to grow and big momma is fine!

New Addition

Got a new zoo today from a local reefer (Eagle Eyes)

And a pic of my fuge I also got from a guy through my reef club

Attachments

• eagle_eye_zoos_1_156.jpg
    eagle_eye_zoos_1_156.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 24
  • fuge_162.jpg
    fuge_162.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 440
Man, keep this up. I am still tryin to convince my gf that she could use a second tank. one FW and one SW...she wants a SW, but not two tanks, and doesnt want to get rid of her pleco or angels.

Thanks. Convince her!!

I am getting a lot fo great deals from my reef club members. I have seen a few of their tanks and it is awesome. Many of them have complete fish rooms that are amazing.

I have my eyes open because setups are always for sale. I shouldn't have bought eveything new. I want to get a 75 RR tank soon with MH and use my 30 as a sump/fuge. Maybe another 6 months.

Sice you all love pics...

Trying to improve my close up shots. What do you think?

Attachments

• star_polyps_873.jpg
    star_polyps_873.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 23
  • yello_polyps_und_acintic_167.jpg
    yello_polyps_und_acintic_167.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 17
  • pnk_zoos_241.jpg
    pnk_zoos_241.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 20
  • red_sc_hermit_170.jpg
    red_sc_hermit_170.jpg