New 30 gallon tank What to add to it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neontetra0131

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm new to the aquarium world. Mind you this aquarium has been in my family for awhile as you can tell by the top of the tank. But I resealed it and it's pretty much brand new. I'm curious on what to put In it, I have the air stone and a aqueon 30 for the filtration (also have a aqua-tech 5-15 for extra filtration.

Any input would be awesome. Thank you in advance

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400196637.423606.jpg

Go with some African Cichlids...some sand and couple rocks to start add as you go long. Thats what i did.
pyza4ese.jpg

Sent from my VS920 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can ask on here or your local fish store. Thanks i wish i went with sand instead of rock just looks nicer. They say one per gallon....they can get pricy for size i go with smaller one i only have for now but possibly buyin some tomorrow. Just remember more fish have more often you need to clean....start off with four i would say i good number.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you go with sand buy from Home Depot it's $3.00 for 50lbs of play sand or $5 for pool sand. I'd also buy my rocks from there. You will save a ton. Do you prefer South American or African cichlids? Not sure how much you know but you should do weekly water changes with a siphoning tool. Also I would paint the back of the tank black with a rubber based paint so you could always peel it off if you wanted to to. If you don't decide to paint the tank I would fill the tank up with water ASAP because cycling can take up to a month if not longer. Do you prefer a community tank or an aggressive tank (cichlid)?

I've been wondering if I could buy rocks and make like a pyramid for them and I've had the tank filtering for about 3 weeks now the aquarium is full of water. I would like to do a community tank but cichlids aren't community or are they? Like if I put three African cichlids in there can I put other community fish in with them?

African cichlids don't do well with non aggressive fish. If you want a community tank you could go with dwarf cichlids such as apistos, German blue rams, or Bolivians. They stay smaller so you could add more fish to your tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400207797.479224.jpg apisto ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400207810.947402.jpg German blue ram. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400207825.123306.jpg Bolivian ram.
Along with some of these dwarf cichlids you could get a school of tetras. And a school of Cory cats 5+.

That top picture one is amazing!!! And okay awesome I defiantly want Cory catfish I should of said that from the beginning

I've always been a fan of Cory's I don't know why cause they are bottom feeders. But will they be okay if I put sand in the tank? And cichlids?

Depends on the type of cichlids. Corys love sand. If you get dwarf cichlids they should be fine.

I have 6 Corys with 3 Bolivians. I prefer German blues but they were all out when I went to petsmart. Btw petsmart carries German blues for about $6. Petco is $7. They look a lot better at petco.

Okay so petco here in Knoxville is alittle different. We only have one around and they are poorly kept up with in the fish department

Back
Top Bottom