New 36 bow front need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do you start your own thread??

hey guys can anyone help me find out how to start my own thread?? ive been looking everywhere and my 29 gallon biocube needs advice!!

thanks!

So what are good types of protein skimmers that won't slaughter me bank wise... Cause I didn't know that you don't have to have one for a nano tank and I bought this one offline and it was the worse product I have ever had/ used it was a waste if time and money it didn't even work!

if you don't mind doing weekly partial water changes, you can skip the protein skimmer. ultimately, it's all about nutrient export. you must take out what you put in. how you do that is up to you. 5 gallons a week, and reasonable feeding, should go a long way towards keeping your tank healthy.
as far as lighting goes, you can use an individually reflected 4 lamp T5 high output fixture with quality bulbs. that would be my choice for that size tank.
something like this-
FreshMarine.com - Current USA Nova Extreme - Current USA Nova Extreme 4x39W T5HO with 3 Lunar Lights - Buy Orbit Fixture Now and Save!

if you decide to add a protein skimmer to the list of components, try to choose one that is rated for 1.5-2 times your tank volume. reef octopus are pretty decent quality.

I have a 46 bowfront with a skimmer and honestly, I could do without it. I bought it cause I had a valentini puffer and he was a messy eater. Since his passing I only run my skimmer once in a while with little waste produced. I would save the money and buy really good lights. That will open up alot of windows in terms of what kind of corals you can house.

Thank you mr_ X that helps a lot!! Do you know anything about uv sterilizers are they good for a tank or are they the same thing as protein skimmers... And I don't plan on doing a sump so the reef octopus hob skimmer do you think that would be good or do you think I should do a sump?

I asked about the uv sterilizer and was told they are a waist of money. The guys at the lfs said all they have ever done is take them off. They might be useful in multiple tank setups to keep pathagen from spreading from tank to tank but even then the hobbyist ones are too week to be effective. I love a sump because that gives you a place to keep all your equipment like heaters protein skimmers, and whatever else you decide to put in. I am not a big fan of hang on overflows, I drilled my own tanks and installed glass holes overflows, but you might want to have someone else do this. Of course I made my own sump out of an old 29 i got off ebay for 10 dollars....

a sump is never a bad thing. it increases overall water volume which helps keep the system stable, along with being a place to hide your heater(s), protein skimmer, and whatever else you plan to use. it's not a must however, and i've seen nice looking reef tanks without sumps. it's up to you. i personally, do not like the look of a HOB skimmer hanging on the side/back of the tank. i'd rather have it hidden.

UV sterilizers have their place, but i don't think they are necessary in this situation. They kill whatever goes through them, good and bad. it's not going to protect against disease, or stop algae problems. i'm with those that consider it a needless expense.

Sorry for asking so many questions I'm jut still fairly new at this thank you guys so much for helping me out!!

if you build a sump out of a standard tank, you are going to have to partition it into at least 2 sections- one for intake, which will hold your skimmer, and heaters and things, and one for return. otherwise, the water level will fluctuate too much for the skimmer to function properly.
attempting this with a 10 gallon tank is going to be nearly impossible. you will need room for the skimmer, heaters, and also the return pump.
i think a 20 long would be the smallest tank i would want to make a sump out of.

My first sump was a rubbermaid tub... for a partition I just pu another tub inside... a ten gallon aquarium is a little on the small size but it might work depends on if you can squeeze your equipment in and have the partition. Plus you'll have to be able to get to everything easily because if its hard to maintain then it will get put off. Best to keep everything as simple as you can.

No, it depends on what you want, two chambers is good unless you want a refugium. A refugium is a good place to grow macroalgea for added nutrient export and for pods to grow. But a refugium doesn't have to be part of your sump.

Ohhhh...ok I understand now it's like added LR I have another question can I get away with not cutting a hole into my 20gal long tank and the 46bow cause I really don't want to.. I'm nervous about trying to do it anyway I mean I have the right kind of drill... Just my luck would be ending with two cracked tanks you know?

it's very simple, and as long as those tanks aren't tempered, you won't have trouble. otherwise you can use a HOB overflow box that relies on a siphon instead of gravity.

I was pretty nervous the first time I drilled, a lot of lfs will drill it for you. You don't have to drill your sump you can use a submersable pump. There are many diffrent types of over the back kind of overflow that rely on syphon. I have made some out of pvc that work very well, but they are big and bulky. You just have to make sure you never lose your syphon or it could flood over. I am still using one on my freshwater 180 and I have frequent power outages its not failed me yet.

And what gph should I have for the 46 gallon? Is a premium maxi-jet a good brand or powersweep, or hyena seltz?

Back
Top Bottom