New 36 Gallon SeaClear System II, New Forum Member!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wyoredman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, Let's try this again. I posted a few days ago, but the spam hunters ditched me for adding a photo link! HaHa!

First I will introduce myself, as I am a new thread poster on Aquarium Advice! I am a fisheries biologist by education and a water treatment operator by trade. I have always had small, <10 gallons, tanks stocked with everything from local minnows to sunfish to goldfish. I have never really been serious about keeping a true tropical aquarium until recently.

Last year, my wife and I built our new home, and one of the things that I have always dreamed of was a built in the wall tropical freshwater aquarium, framed to look like a picture!

So, after convincing the carpenter what was needed, the house was finished and a large 3' hole dominated the living room wall. I needed a tank!

Through research on the internet and local pet stores, I decided on the 36 gallon SeaClear System II acrylic and purchased one online.

For those of you that are not familiar with the SeaClear System II, it has a built in filter with drip tray and bio-balls, a pre-filter sock, a powerhead that pumps water to a "L" shaped header in the tank. All the equipment is housed in the back portion of the tank, so actual "swim space" for the fish is only around 29 gallons.

Anyhow, I joined Aquarium Advice in March with the intentions of learning how set up my tank and do a fishless cycle. This place is cool!

I wanted a planted tank, medium light plants and 10 - 15 fish. I began by placing 2 1/2" of fine gravel (~20lbs) then another 1" of course gravel on top for a total substrate of 3 1/2".

Next, I purchased a few plants from the local PETCO, placed them in the gravel with some root tabs. Finally I landscaped with some simple rocks collected around Wyoming.

Water was added, the filter and heater and air pump turned on. I placed a snippet of filter media from a friends goldfish tank in the bio-balls, added some janitorial ammonia and began the cycle. Using my API master test kit, I monitored the cycle, watched the ammonia levels, noticed nitrite forming after the first few days, saw nitrite spike after a week and ammonia drop. I started adding ammonia once my nitrites were indicating I had bacteria. I did this for another week then began noticing Nitrate levels rising fast! Within days, I had zero ammonia and nitrites in the mornings, and health levels of nitrates (>40ppm).! Yeah, my cycle was complete!

I have since changed the tank water and stocked my aquarium with 6 bloodfin Tetras, 2 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Angels and 2 pearl gourami's. The filter seems to be handling this fish combo well, and so far all fish seem to be getting along.

I am feeding a flake food.

The light in my hood is a 24" Floromax 17W bulb. I am adding 5ml of Seachem Flourish Excel carbon every other day and replenishing the root tabs every other week.

Now that everyone has a feel for my system, I have a few questions.

First, do you think my tank will handle a few more fish, as I would Like to add some swordtails?

Secondly, is a 17w Floromax bulb giving me enough light to promote plant growth? I keep it on around 7 hours per day.

Finally, It looks like there is room in the hood for adding another lighting fixture, has anyone ever added light to a SeaClear System II hood? If so, could you point me in the right direction?

Sorry for such a long first post, but I figured I would explain it all to start with!

I will add pictures once I reach the magic number of 8 posts, so the spam filters don't hunt me down.

Thanks again.

Welcome! Sounds like you have a good handle on things.. right off the bat you may want to watch the angels and gauramis. They could potentially battle.what type of root tab are you using ? What types of plants? Your current lighting will only grow low light plants, the higher up the lighting goes the more maintenance is required in keeping plants healthy and algae at bay..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Welcome. Glad you are here.

I don't see many acrylic tanks here, at least on the FW side. I have a regular SeaClear 29 gallon tank. I really like it. I think the System 2 is neat. Frankly I just didn't understand enough to purchase it instead of what I have. I have a Fluval canister so I'm not complaining, just admitting my ignorance when I selected my tank.

As to stocking do you know about Aquadvisor.com? It's conservative, but I think it is a good stocking guide.

I have a feeling that a fisheries biologist can teach me a few things :) :fish2:

Brookster123 said:
Welcome! Sounds like you have a good handle on things.. right off the bat you may want to watch the angels and gauramis. They could potentially battle.what type of root tab are you using ? What types of plants? Your current lighting will only grow low light plants, the higher up the lighting goes the more maintenance is required in keeping plants healthy and algae at bay..

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what the root tabs are. Good question! They are in a foil pack kind of like some medications come in! I purchased them at my local pet store! I will check this evening. The Angels and gourami's have been together for 10 days now and all seems good. I will keep my fingers crossed. The gourami's do seem a bit territorial and chase the bloodfin's, but those little guys are speed and get away pretty easily!

As to the plants, I am absolutely, positively, 100% unsure as to their types! I planted them and threw the identifying labels away. This is my first try at aquatic plants and I know nothing! HaHa! I will post some picture and you can try and ID them for me!

Coryluv said:
As to stocking do you know about Aquadvisor.com?

The link doesn't work, just sends me to an advertising page. I am curious to check it out, though. Could you post it again? Thanks.

Here are some photos of the plants. The shorter broad leaf in the foreground came in a little plastic pot and foam. I removed the pot and planted the foam in the gravel with a root tab. The others came in a bundle tied with a rubber band. I separated them and planted them individually. They seem to have root shoots growing out of the stalks? the leaves are serrated and come out in whirls every inch or so from the stalk. I hope I am using the correct terminology, as I am not a botanist! thanks.

FishTank1_zpsfc0a7400.jpg

FishTank2_zpsb47eda43.jpg

Here are some photos of the plants. The shorter broad leaf in the foreground came in a little plastic pot and foam. I removed the pot and planted the foam in the gravel with a root tab. The others came in a bundle tied with a rubber band. I separated them and planted them individually. They seem to have root shoots growing out of the stalks? the leaves are serrated and come out in whirls every inch or so from the stalk. I hope I am using the correct terminology, as I am not a botanist!

The rubber band plants with the roots looks like Ludwigia repens from what I can see. Can't see well enough to be certain but google it and compare the pics you find to what is in your tank.

Edit that. I missed the serrated edges. Ludwigia has smooth edges.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom