new 38g cycling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a new 38g tank which has been up and running for about 2-3 days and its still cloudy and I started it with pre seeded filter media along with some plants. I'm wondering, how long is it gonna be cloudy

I cannot answer your question, but I am guessing others will need to know substrate and how you cleaned it.

I cleaned it in water for a long time and also transferred some from my established aquarium

What filtration? A bit of "floss" will polish any small particles from the water. If the cloudiness is bacterial it will clear up when the new setup becomes more stable.

When I first set up my tank, all new btw. The first day It got really cloudy so I went and bought API stress zyme+ and like 2 days later the water was crystal clear. Or maybe it's not the insufficient bacteria maybe it's because of loose particles you can also buy a water clearer if it's that.

ARon9501 said:
When I first set up my tank, all new btw. The first day It got really cloudy so I went and bought API stress zyme+ and like 2 days later the water was crystal clear. Or maybe it's not the insufficient bacteria maybe it's because of loose particles you can also buy a water clearer if it's that.

Well I know there is loose particals and I do not think there is an insufficient amount of bacteria because I'm using seeded ceramic rings for filter media

I'd upgrade the filter to an aquaclear 70, with a prefilter on the intake to prevent sand from destroying the impeller. I use the Penguin powerhead reverse-flow replacement sponges for that on all my filter intakes.

I would but I recently built a wood trim and now nothing will fit and its completely up against the wall and I can't afford a canister filter so I'm stuck with this for now. Any advice on that one would be great

No advice on the filters but bacteria bloom caused my cloudiness... I was advised a week or 2 for my new tank which had filter media from an established tank.... Currently battling rising Ammonia and Nitirite levels with 50% water changes regularly (Daily or at 2 days)

Well now my tank is super clear. I added water clarifier last night and now its super clear

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110822_073459.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110822_073459.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 43
Good news :)

If the cloudiness comes back and you use the clarifier a lot then you might have to look into changing the filter. Best of luck though, very smart but nice and simple tank :)...

Yeah its simple now but I'm not done I will be adding more plants and also 8 neons, 4 Molly's, 3 dwarf gouramis, and 4 emerald Cory's

Back
Top Bottom