New 3ft tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know about that. Your bacteria is going to be on/in your rock and sand....you don't need any media in a filter. You are going to want to wash out any mechanical filter regularly.
I would just have a filter pad in there i could easily rinse.

Ok so i just added 6.2 kg live rock and 5.0 kg base rock. I think ill need more live rock though. A big piece to make a cave for the Moray planning to get..

I don't know about that. Your bacteria is going to be on/in your rock and sand....you don't need any media in a filter. You are going to want to wash out any mechanical filter regularly.
I would just have a filter pad in there i could easily rinse.

Can i use both LR and Matrix. LFS guy said Matrix doesnt affect Nitrates but is sais otherwise.

I don't even know what "matrix" is. I googled it and came up short. That said, it's just another type of surface area. Anaerobic bacteria is what converts nitrate to nitrogen gas. If this media doesn't have low oxygen zones like live rock does where this bacteria can reside, it's not going to positively effect nitrate.

I don't even know what "matrix" is. I googled it and came up short. That said, it's just another type of surface area. Anaerobic bacteria is what converts nitrate to nitrogen gas. If this media doesn't have low oxygen zones like live rock does where this bacteria can reside, it's not going to positively effect nitrate.

Got this of another forum.. It does say on the box it works for Nitrates. Its about $35 in Australia for a litre.
" Excellent Nitrate Media
I just want to recommend Seachem's Matrix biomedia for nitrate removal. For about 6 months, I have been using plastic bioballs in the back of my Aquapod. Even with weekly water changes, minimal feeding, and keeping a light bioload, I could never get my nitrates under 5ppm. At one time, I took a reading of 10ppm. I noticed that many people use Seachem's de-nitrate. I checked it out, and noticed that Seachem recommends a flow rate of no more then 50gph. Anything higher, and they recommend Matrix. So I bought 1 liter (enough for 100 gallons) to try on my 35 gallon system (sometimes more is better). I've been using it for 3 weeks, and now my nitrates are at undetectable levels. What sold me on this product is when Seachem stated that 1 liter (the amount I used) is equivalent to 10 gallons of plastic bioballs. This was music to my ears since I am always pinching for space in my nano reef. All in all, I am very happy with this product, and recommend it 100%. For more info check out Seachem Laboratories: Innovative Pet and Aquarium Products . This stuff is hard to find. I bought it from petmountain.com for about $11.00 I think.."

Website sais;
Matrix™ is a high porosity biomedia that provides efficient biofiltration for the removal of nitrogenous waste. Matrix™ is a porous inorganic solid about 10 mm in diameter. Each liter of Matrix™ provides as much surface (>~700 m2) as 170 liters of plastic balls! Plastic bio-materials provide only external surface area, whereas Matrix™ provides both external and internal macroporous surface area. These macropores are ideally sized for the support of nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. This allows Matrix™, unlike other forms of biomedia, to remove nitrate along with ammonia and nitrite, simultaneously and in the same filter. Matrix™ is completely inert and will not breakdown. It need not be replaced. Since the majority of the bacteria are internal, Matrix™ may be rinsed when needed without damaging the filter. Matrix™ is compatible with all types of wet or wet-dry filters.........
So every LFS in my area ( 4 ) all swear by it as the best thing since sliced bread. Ive been using it for 3 years in my African tank.

Well then, it sounds as though this may do the same thing as live rock. If it's description is accurate.

For just a fish only, you could use any lighting. Maybe one of those marineland LED fixtures. They will make the tank look nice.

For just a fish only, you could use any lighting. Maybe one of those marineland LED fixtures. They will make the tank look nice.

Ok, o have a nice one on my African tank. They do look good and cheap to run .. I noticed a very small shell on the inside front glass of my tank . Would appear to be a Hitchhiker from the live rock. Should i be concerned?

Got 20 lt RO/DI water from Large LFS 30mins drive today also. 60 cent a litre. Guess thats a good price. Dearer than down the road however down the road is only RO water. This is RO/ DI and this place is mostly stocked with saltwater tanks. Its one of the bigger pet places in Brisbane.

Ok so just want to check i have the salt mix right 33 grams ( 3l ) per litre ?

Back
Top Bottom