New 46g bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fellin1975

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello to all. I'm planning on buying a new 46g bowfront tank and I was wondering where I could buy some BB to help speed up the cycle.

It's a new tank. I have a 10g that I got like 4 weeks ago, but its still in the nitrite stage.

Craigslist or your local pet/fish store is you best bet if you don't have a buddy that keeps fish.

Get a used filter pad off someone. It will nearly instant cycle your tank. The bottled stuff can really be hit or miss (more often miss if you ask me haha)

Get a used filter pad off someone. It will nearly instant cycle your tank. The bottled stuff can really be hit or miss (more often miss if you ask me haha)

This! Or even gravel from another tank works when put in a sock or something. I've cycled two of my tanks via "fishless" and had much more success and no dead fish!

If I get a used filter pad how do I use it? I mean, do I just lay it on the bottom? Or put it in a stocking? Excuse my lack of knowledge but I'm new to the hobby.

The best place is in the filter. If not then near the intake in a stocking IMO. You can fish in or fishless cycle with seeded media. And yes, you need to add pure ammonia if you go the fishless route. Fish in cycling isn't all that bad. If you have seeded media and stock the tank lightly then it can be a walk in the park! I fish in cycle all my tanks.

You can start your own in the small tank by adding one more filter pad, with the one you already have, piggyback. In a couple weeks you should be building some decent BB, at least good as a starter and can be added with one if you can get from someone. I always do double filter pads, for double the BB, but also in case you happen to find a new tank! lol!

You can start your own in the small tank by adding one more filter pad, with the one you already have, piggyback. In a couple weeks you should be building some decent BB, at least good as a starter and can be added with one if you can get from someone. I always do double filter pads, for double the BB, but also in case you happen to find a new tank! lol!

That's a great idea! I'll do that definitely while I buy the tank. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom