New 50 gal. Terrarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgarMedina1010

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thats a sweet deal :p Id go with the RES as turtles are funner and come on there turtles lol. One thing is that they are VERY messy and you will need a canister filter or something along that extent for the water. Anoles are ok as a first time reptile but I would never waste a 50g on them as they only require like 10gs per lizard and are more work IMO. RES all they way :lol:
Good Luck And Nice Pick Up

I don't think RES should be kept in a 50 gallon. They get pretty large.

I've never kept lizards, I bet that would be fun. Frogs would be cool too! That's quite a score for 60 bucks.

I see BILLIONS of lizards all year round down here in Florida, but I would go with them for ease of tank maintenance. Turtles (specially Sliders) can get big, stank, and messy... There are some cool Anoles, I have been contemplating a Gecko. How about a paludarium? You can do poison dart frogs, which once domesticated lose much of their potency due to lack of a highly varied diet (or so I have read). They are super colorful.

severum mama said:
I don't think RES should be kept in a 50 gallon. They get pretty large.

I've never kept lizards, I bet that would be fun. Frogs would be cool too! That's quite a score for 60 bucks.
I thought they could be ok in there, heres a website that I found http://www.sliderhome.nl/general.html#6 and theres this one that states Size and Life Span
Many people also do not realize how big aquatic turtles can get. Red eared sliders and a couple of the other commonly available pet species will grow to at least 10-12 inches long and thus will require correspondingly large enclosures. All turtles have the potential to enjoy a very long life span (i.e. several decades!) if cared for properly. Which I think they would be ok in a 50 gal.? right??

i would not keep a 12 inch fish in a 50gal, as a personal preference, and i would definitely not keep a 12 inch turtle in one. it would probably survive, but...

I kept a couple of yellow bellied sliders in the past for my work (day program for folks with disabilities). Someone donated 2 of them to the clients and the biggest tank I was able to get for them was 55 gallons. I can tell you that this was far too small for 2 adult turtles, and I would never do that again, but I couldn't get my work to buy a bigger tank. The turtles would have been much more comfortable in a 125 gallon, and better in a 180. Plus, if you think cichlids are messy, multiply that by about 200 and that's how messy just one turtle is, lol. If memory serves me correctly, a 50 gallon is 36"x18". That just doesn't give a turtle much swimming room at all, especially since you have to provide a suitable place for basking.

I really like the idea for poison dart frogs, that sounds cool!

severum mama said:
I kept a couple of yellow bellied sliders in the past for my work (day program for folks with disabilities). Someone donated 2 of them to the clients and the biggest tank I was able to get for them was 55 gallons. I can tell you that this was far too small for 2 adult turtles, and I would never do that again, but I couldn't get my work to buy a bigger tank. The turtles would have been much more comfortable in a 125 gallon, and better in a 180. Plus, if you think cichlids are messy, multiply that by about 200 and that's how messy just one turtle is, lol. If memory serves me correctly, a 50 gallon is 36"x18". That just doesn't give a turtle much swimming room at all, especially since you have to provide a suitable place for basking.

I really like the idea for poison dart frogs, that sounds cool!
Yep, I Made a little experiment, First I got my little dog that is around 13-15 inches in lenght, and put him in the tank really carefully, You guys are right theres no way to keep 2 or even one adult in there. Although I was thinking to keep a small one in there, and once it got a little big for the 50 gal. maybe donate it to a local zoo or something like that. I dont know about frogs Im not really a big fan....do they make sounds?? P.S.- Can anyone recommend a good red-eared slider forum or something close? oh and much does that tank weigh with water on it??

Back
Top Bottom