New 55 gal, need suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrawnShop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I've kept a 29 gallon planted tank for about two years now, so I figure I've earned the chance at something larger. So I went out a built a stand for my 55 gallon tank that's been sitting unused for almost that long, and now I'm getting into the setup stage.

Since I really only have enough room for the one tank I'm planning on moving all of the current residents of the 29 gal to the 55 gal. Currently that's a few black skirt tetras, red velvet platys, a lone swordtail, and a cory. Now I've got four feet of floor space for them and I'm going to need some plants. After I get everything situated I was planning on more some more platys and swords as well.

The hood I built currently has a two 46" T5 light setup, and I've got some off brand HOB filter that I was planning on using in tandem with the Penguin 200 I currently have in the 29 which currently has the bacteria, so why not. One day I'll move up to the canister world, but one step at a time. I also have about 60 pounds of tahitian black moon sand and 40 pounds of flourite that I was planning on using for this setup. I was also planning on picking up some egg crate from the local mega mart to attach the plants to, then adding another inch or so of the substrate.

I'm currently looking for a decent vendor to purchase these plants from, possibly one that could put together a package for me. I was hoping to use a good bit of eleocharis acicularis, a few pieces of dwarf riccia, and then some assorted swords, although I'd gladly welcome some suggestions for adding height and character.

I know how you guys love pics, so I've included a few of the basic stand build. I ended up painting it a flat black but it's outside right now waiting to dry, so no finished pics just yet. I've also painted the back of the tank a nice blue, so I'm definitely going to show that off once it gets finished as well.

I have a ton of questions, but I'm basically trying to determine whether that works as a whole. I can easily change bulbs, or start with a different substrate, or do whatever right now. So I just wanted to make sure that I'm not setting myself up for failure before I start. Any suggestions on the plants, substrate or lighting would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Picture 331.jpg
    Picture 331.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture 332.jpg
    Picture 332.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture 358.jpg
    Picture 358.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 48
Sounds awesome I wish i would've known more when I was setting up my 55 would've done things differently

The tank looks good. With all that room in the stand, I'd go with sump filtration.

Check out Aquabid for plants. You can get a lot of plants relatively cheaply there.

Back
Top Bottom