New 55 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mmclaughlin09

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What can I do to speed up the cycling? Also will adding 1 or 2 Pleco help with this. The tank has only been setting for 1 day

If you could get seeded media from another tank set up, it would help you greatly.

If you have a friend with an established healthy tank ask for a hand full of their substrate to put in your tank if not check with the fish store and see if you can get some from them. If you haven't put any fish in the tank at all you might want to consider a fish less cycle

Good news. This tank was actually set up at someone's house so I put the used filters in the filter. When can I add fish to the tank with this used filter going?

Mmclaughlin09 said:
Good news. This tank was actually set up at someone's house so I put the used filters in the filter. When can I add fish to the tank with this used filter going?

If the filter media dried out at any point, then you'll need to start over.

You will have to test the water. The bacteria need something to feed off of so you will be ok putting in fish. But watch the water permit ears and do water changes accordingly

What do I need to check the water for? I know ammonia and ph but what else

You need to test your tank water, ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. A master test kit can be found asst the fish store, after these levels are tested and you know what they are then you can safely add fish but you have to monitor your water conditions after fish are added.

Yeah but there is nothing u can do if nitrates and nitrites are wrong is there?

Mmclaughlin09 said:
Yeah but there is nothing u can do if nitrates and nitrites are wrong is there?

Have you read the articles jlk posted. They are guidelines to the different ways to cycle your tank

Water changes with a proper water conditioner such as Prime will help get your tank balanced.
If you have not read about cycling your tank you definitely should read about it before you add any fish to your tank so that you will understand what to expect and it gives a wealth of info that you need to know about this hobby

Back
Top Bottom