New 55 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richardwm

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hopefully tomorrow I will be buying my 55 gal tank. I want to go planted and I was thinking of dirting the tank. The light source I will be starting with are two 24 watt t5 ho fluorescent one will be 10000k the other will be a red blue supplement spectrum light. for now I will be running a fluval c3 filter later on I will add a fx5 canister filter. I currently co2 inject so there is no problem there I currently have a swordtail and a rainbow shark I will be transferring from my 25 gal planted. If anyone has suggestions on fish plants lighting filter sect the whole 9 yards it will be appreciated for the fact I have never ventured bigger then a 25 gal.

Attachments

• image-1704046848.jpg
    image-1704046848.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 58
An FX5 is kind of overkill on a 55. I've used them on my 220g. I actually use a Fluval 406 Canister on each of my 55g tanks. I have that on one end of the tank and usually have a HOB filter on the other end or a small powerhead at the other end to achieve good flow throughout the tank.

On the one 55g tank I have an AquaticLife T5HO 2 bulb fixture with one Geisemann 6000K Midday bulb and one Geisemann AquaFlora bulb. I can grow just about any plant and achieve very good color on non-green plants. The only thing is won't grow is high light carpeting plants.

An FX5 is kind of overkill on a 55. I've used them on my 220g. I actually use a Fluval 406 Canister on each of my 55g tanks. I have that on one end of the tank and usually have a HOB filter on the other end or a small powerhead at the other end to achieve good flow throughout the tank. On the one 55g tank I have an AquaticLife T5HO 2 bulb fixture with one Geisemann 6000K Midday bulb and one Geisemann AquaFlora bulb. I can grow just about any plant and achieve very good color on non-green plants. The only thing is won't grow is high light carpeting plants.
what kind of media do you use in the hob and canister I was told to use the hob to the fullest and stuff the canister with mechanical filter media what are your thoughs.

I use 100% polyfill to stuff in the HOB and pretty much use it as a mechanical filter where I can pull the dirty polyfill out at the weekly WC and add new in. Then since my Fluval 406 has 4 baskets to hold media I leave the pre-sponge in the bottom one, then add 100% polyfill in the next basket, Polyfill or Purgen in the 3rd basket, and bio-media in the 4th basket. I clean my canisters every 4 weeks. Everyone has their own ideas as to what they want or use in their filters.

Back
Top Bottom