New 55 gallon freshwater for 1 oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

futurestep9169

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, everyone! I wanted to post a few pictures of the 55g I'm cycling with my Oscar. It looks good but I'm concerned about whether or not I should shim. Everything was level before I added water but now it looks off. I am getting an actual level tomorrow to be sure, but wanted to know what you guys thought.

I have attached pictures. From the front, it looks completely level. From the side the filter is on, it looks like the water level is higher toward the front. From the side without the filter, it looks level. I'm confused!!

The aquarium is a 55g Aqueon with an Aqueon stand designed for the tank. It is on carpet, in a second floor condo on a load bearing wall. It is on one (mayyyybe two) floor joist (floor joists running same way tank is running.)

Attachments

• image-2164332016.jpg
    image-2164332016.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 233
  • image-2925823187.jpg
    image-2925823187.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 219
  • image-384935548.jpg
    image-384935548.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 228
  • image-1860078344.jpg
    image-1860078344.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 227
It's definitely leaning forward. Have you taken a level to the all sides of the tank?

Also is it on carpet or hard wood floors?

Some of it looks visual....in the third pic. The light isn't resting or seating on the canopy all the way. It's kinda resting on the lip. The first pic or the leftside of the tank looks(when facing) to be the problem. There may be a small dip the floor( left front side when facing) that's making the tank twist just a bit because of weight. Some of it again is visual. If you look and the down tube of the filter in the tank you see the filters isn't vertically straight on the tank.

The first picture is definitely leaning, look at th water line. Throw a level on all four sides to be sure. 55 gallon isn't that heavy at 8.34 pounds per gallon, round it off to 9 then for a 55 it's

That's 495 pounds, for a second floor that shouldn't be too much weight at all.

If its on carpet that could be an issue. Also just to add, don't shim the tank itself shim the stand, even then I wouldn't do it.

Check with a level first before you do anything and keep us posted.

Last edited:
It is on carpet. I took a level to it and it is unlevel on the left side, as visible. It's less than 1/4" off. Should I shim?

My 30 gallon leans to the front left. Has been for awhile. Just a lil eye sore.

Back
Top Bottom