New 55 Gallon Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I have been talking to myself here, I figured i would share some pics with myself also, LOL.

Anyway, got this Unit in the mail today:
img_916231_0_8bdfc68c041eceb4792fcae5a9af2680.jpg

Got it on Ebay, its a Victor medical grade CO2 regulator

I also took some horrible pics with my horrible camera, just to share with others. They are bad pics but just to get an idea. I plan actually clean the tank and use a better camera this weekend to take new pics, and some pics of my Gudgeons that should be here by then.

Don't laugh!
img_916231_1_527dce2ac7a054dbfa19c8eabd568b3f.jpg

img_916231_2_736c8f3542c18f1949e5f40d6542ef5e.jpg

img_916231_3_c8a319c63a423e3ca5dd369ccfbe3f7f.jpg

Still need to put a background on, I took it off when I redid the top frame, plan on going with a black one this time.

Oh and yes, I'm lazy the tiger lotus got uprooted and I didn't replant it before taking pics.

The rotala on the right, I started with 4-5 stems, now i have at least 2x that. At 1st they looked weak, then took off, now not much. I'm really not sure what's going on with that so I figure the CO2 will help for sure(I'm loosing patience)

i want to do a planted tank sooo bad, but its a lil intimidating to me right now. im still a newb, u know?

i almost tossed a few serpae's my other tank with angels until i read your post. tnks.crank up that co2 now

crank up that co2 now

Yes indeed!!! Should have came around sooner:silly:

CO2 is deff worth it!! Plants have taken off! mainly the Hygro is going crazy. Oh I'm still running 1 BPS:cool:

I ended up hooking up my CO2 on 10/29, it has been basically 3weeks now and the plants have grown many times more than the 1st 2months w/o CO2. I got a full 15# cylinder for $54 and a 3 way manifold(planning for the future), had some nylon tubing laying around that I'm using.

I still dont have a solenoid so I have been manually turning the co2 on/off( on ~1/2hr before lights on and off ~1hr before lights off) which has not been on time alot so I'm surely hurting things a little. I just purchased a couple solenoids and checkvlves so I will be selling the extras.

I have been running it to the inlet on my canister filter so far with good results. Finally have most of the DIY reactor built.

Still using the T8 shoplight and would not want any more, still on the orig bulbs. Well I may in the future DIY a 2x 54x T5HO setup but will try and see if a single bulb is enough as I have been told that it is fine from others experiences.

I need to do some trimming and replanting, and get some pics.

For dosing ferts, I have been using the EI 20-40G tank amounts, and have to dose ~2x per week so far. Its a lean dosing plan I'm working on, mainly since I dont have awesome lighting and so I dont have to do 50% WC's every week, have been doing ~25% WC's weekly.

That Angel ended up dying, so I have tried 3 angels from petco and all have died, dont plan on getting anything more from them.

I did get 2 prs of longfin GBR's, I was holding off then made the decision to try them. The weather changed and so they were cold during shipping, basically my fault, 1 week prior the weather was warm for MI. The water temp was ~68deg F when I got them. I slowly brought up the temp and acclimated them. I wasn't sure if any were going to make it, they looked shocked. Well the smallest female ended up dying, the remaining 3 are doing great now and are very awesome fish! The 2 males go at it a little daily so I have been watching closely. Not sure what to do at this point for that, I guess I need another female or just hope for the best.

I now have the tank at ~81 deg F, shortly after raising it to that from ~78deg, I had 1 male endler die, not sure about that? The other 6 are doing good

angel fish are kinda fragile when there dime size or juvies if you can get them to last 1 month there usually ok.I lost a few too

oh i have two silver dollar size i'd give you if you lived close.

oh i have two silver dollar size i'd give you if you lived close.
Thanks for the offer, I'm still not sure if I will end up with any angels in this tank?

Oh, another note, I have not had to clean the glass on the tank for 3wks either. The only algae I have is some BBA mostly on the moss, which is prob mainly doue to my fluctuation of lighting and CO2 schedule.

I have been running it to the inlet on my canister filter so far with good results. Finally have most of the DIY reactor built.

So you are running it with just the regulator and tank right now I presume? I am wanting to get into co2 but jsut unsure what all pieces I would need. Does the "reactor" attach to the regulator by way of tubing and go inside the aquarium to create smaller bubbles? How exactly does it work out?

So you are running it with just the regulator and tank right now I presume? I am wanting to get into co2 but jsut unsure what all pieces I would need. Does the "reactor" attach to the regulator by way of tubing and go inside the aquarium to create smaller bubbles? How exactly does it work out?
I have tank/regulator/needle valve/bubble counter currently.

The reactor is basically a PVC tube that attaches to the outlet of my canister filter(or any pump, wont work on a HOB filter). So water flows through it and you inject the CO2 into this instead of other places. The water is slowed down from the larger diameter "tube" so the CO2 can fully dissolve into the water before exiting back into the aquarium.

Basically you need a tank, then a regulator(specific 320 threads for CO2), then a needle valve and some hose at a minimum.

The needle valve is the main CO2 adjustment, the regulator can adjust but is mainly keeps the pressure stable.

Then you can run it into the inlet on the filter.

A bubble counter is nice, but not needed. Especially if your doing it like I am currently, as you can see and hear the bubbles going into the filter inlet.

A solenoid is nice so you dont have to manually turn the CO2 off at night. Set it to run on a timer.

A drop checker is nice to have also, I have yet to use mine. I prob will for a little testing but not worried about using it all the time. I'm getting great growth now and I'm sure my co2 levels are low currently. With my lighting I doubt I'll need to crank the CO2 way up.

Just start slow, and watch fish/plants. Then add a little more co2 via the needle valve and wait again, ect..

Heres good like about the parts::
Pressurized CO2 parts/function

Thanks for the link, that was very helpful. Is a reactor necessary? Or does it just increase the efficiency of the setup because it causes more of the co2 bubbles to dissolve? I was thinking of getting a Milwaukee setup and a co2 tank and giving it a go

No a reactor is not required and like I said will only work on a canister filter or pump. Yes it just is more efficient at getting the CO2 dissolved, it work b/c it has a larger diameter tube(like 1.75-2") so the water slows down giving the co2 time to dissolve.

Or if you have a good pump then people like Mazzei injection or needle wheel pumps to distribute CO2.

If you looking for a cheap CO2 setup. The Milwaukee is OK, some people have issues with the bubble counter and also the solenoid at times, others seem to have no issues. Also the needle valve can be questionable by some.

I just bought some Clippard solenoids, I will have a couple extra to sell, they are a good CO2 solenoid that people replace the milwaukee ones with, they normally go for ~$35.

I'm using a 3-way splitter with JBJ bubble counter from Ebay, it has cheap needle valves but they seem to work fine for me and others.

I think an important thing is if you use a cheap needle valve get a good regulator that can adjust pressure or get a better needle valve.

For a cheap regulator i hear the "Azoo" one are devent also from Ebay or where ever.

Also if you are a DIY type person then getting a good quality regulator by itself for ~$50 and get the other parts seperate can save some $$$

If you want a better quality regulator pre-built, check out Sumo:
SuMo CO2 Regulators for Planted and Reef Aquariums - Home

Other CO2 vendors:
Green Leaf
Rex Grigg

Also for CO2 tanks, get as big of one as you can fit/afford. CO2 is cheap to refill and last a long time depending on what size tank you have?

Look in your local phone book under "Fire Extinguisher", they sell and fill CO2 tanks cheap. I got my full 15# tank for $54 out the door. All the local welding/gas supply places in town wanted ~#130 for a full 10# tank.

i love gbrs.

They are very awesome fish.

For the last 2 days now the pair have been taking turns digging out a bowl in the substrate. Its on the right front side in between the Potamogeton gayi(grass like foreground). They dont guard it and pretty sure they havent spawned but I believe that this is spawning behavior.

Back
Top Bottom