New 55 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stndfirm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! So glad I discovered this place. My DH and I just spent all evening at two different pet stores. My DH is setting up an aquarium. We are newbies. We purchased a 55G tank, a heater, filter, and tops with lights. I think we got the wrong size filter. And, After searching Amazon am wondering if we got the wrong tank! Please help us. I am not sure about listening to the employees at pet store.

55 gallons is quite big, what do you plan on filling it up with?

I'm surprised the people at the pet stores didn't ensure you had all the right sizes and parts when you purchased them.

The filter may not be tight tight to a fit. Mine has a small amount of movement in it, it's more or less to just let the water pass through it and catch the contaminates and impurities.

Pet store employees should be trustworthy, as far as getting the right accessories for your tank goes..

I was fortunate enough to pick up a complete aquarium kit at wal-mart, was only 10 gallons but came with its own filters, lights, etc etc.

If you can add some pictures please do, would help muchly.

Stndfirm said:
Hey everyone! So glad I discovered this place. My DH and I just spent all evening at two different pet stores. My DH is setting up an aquarium. We are newbies. We purchased a 55G tank, a heater, filter, and tops with lights. I think we got the wrong size filter. And, After searching Amazon am wondering if we got the wrong tank! Please help us. I am not sure about listening to the employees at pet store.

Hi and welcome to AA!
Are you worried the tank is not a 55g? Can you post the measurements? Also what kind of filter and how many gallons an hours does it filter? Usually those kits don't have the best filters on them. You want to aim for one that's rated 2 times (or more) larger than the tank.
Do you know what cycling a tank is?

Mumma.of.two said:
Hi and welcome to AA!
Are you worried the tank is not a 55g? Can you post the measurements? Also what kind of filter and how many gallons an hours does it filter? Usually those kits don't have the best filters on them. You want to aim for one that's rated 2 times (or more) larger than the tank.
Do you know what cycling a tank is?

We bought a 55 gallon for sure. It is glass. We are fine with it. We took the filter back. It was a fluval for 45 gallon tank. We were thinking it was too small. We plan to purchase another fluval brand that is for 70 gallon tank. The employee told us the 45 would work, but I read online to use the 70 gallon one. So I am not sure what to use. We were told fluval canister is the best. Is that true? And, we bought two 24 inch full hood light. But now my hubby is not sure if those work with canopy. ??? I am so confused. Thank you for responding to my email. Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to AA! We're glad you found us. :)

I have moved your thread to FW and Brackish- Getting Started. This should help you to get more responses.

I'm going to assume that the Fluval canister you are looking at would be the Fluval 305/306. That's a nice filter and it will work just fine on a 55 gallon. It's also very quiet, which a lot of people like.

Can you tell us more about your canopy? Maybe we can help you figure out the situation with the light.

i have a 55 gal too. ive had it for a month. i found out that your filter gph should be the size of your tank, in this case 55 gallons, times 7. so 385 gph. my filter is a hanging filter from www.drsfostersandsmith.com it has a built in skimmer which cleans the water surface and reduces odor. i have alot of plants both real and fake a plecos\ and a clown knife. a pleco is very helpful because my fish eats live so his poo is big and there is alot and the pleco takes care of it if u know what i mean. i bought 2 hoods that were ment for a 20 gal. MAKE SURE YOUR TANK IS SET UP AND RUNNING FOR 2 FULL WEEKS BEFORE PUTTING IN ANY FISH. then buy 2 goldfish and put them in for a week. if they live you are ready to go. i put the gold fish in my 14 gal and kept them but you could put them in a fish bowl or keep them in your tank. make sure to float your fish and take the tempurature inside the bag and in your tank. this is very improtant. to much of a sudden tempurature change and cause stress and put your fish in shock. increasing the chance of ick. ick is a disease your fish gets from stress. it is small white bumps on your fish that can be fatal if not treated right. you can have about 15 fish in your tank if they are about 2 inches each. make sure thay are all compatable. i would recomend putting your heater on the opposite side of the tank as the filter and have a power head by the filter moving the water around and this will also help keeping good oxygen flow. do a water change every 2 weeks and have water ready do not put tap water. take out 11 gallons every time and add stress coat and aquarium salt to the water that you mix and have sit for about 2 or 3 days in a bucket(s). always have 2 or 3 gallons mixed and ready incase of evaporation. do not use soap on ANYTHING that even touches your aquarium. always have a net and floating quarentine tank. read alot on all the fish you get for proper care. i hope i was any help to you.

Drew

Back
Top Bottom