New 55 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKjEi o2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a new 55 gallon tank (I think). The inhabitants will be 3 Hillstream Loaches, 6 Roseline Barbs, and 3-5 bamboo shrimp (depending how cheap they are).

Now my questions;

1.) What else can I put in my tank?
2.) all of these fish like/need a current, how do I produce a strong current? A powerhead?

I just got a new 55 gallon tank (I think). The inhabitants will be 3 Hillstream Loaches, 6 Roseline Barbs, and 3-5 bamboo shrimp (depending how cheap they are).

Now my questions;

1.) What else can I put in my tank?
2.) all of these fish like/need a current, how do I produce a strong current? A powerhead?

I can't help with 1, but for 2:

Have a filter rated for at least 100 gallons, should provide a nice amount of flow. You can also add a medium-large airstone to keep the water moving if there's a low-flow spot.

I have a marineland biowheel 400. But it doesn't produce a very strong current. Do plants mind the current as long as they aren't uprooted?

Strong currents are fine so long as you don't have fragile fish/plants in there. If you want to produce a stronger current you'd have to invest in either another filter, a pump, or you can get a large air stone to keep water moving about.

One thing I've found with creating a stronger current in a tank is to put the filter on one end of the tank instead of on the back of it.

Back
Top Bottom