New 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

is it overstocked?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

madchild24

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok i just got a new 55 gallon tank with the works.
can u think of anythiing to add to my stocking list?

8 Neon Tetras
8 Pristella Tetras
4 Peppered Cory Cats
1 Clown Pleco
1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

im no sure on the cory cats yet any experence with them would be great?
mabe 8 more different tetras nstead of cory cats?

I have found corey cats to be great! They will school together so it's good that you chose to get 4 of them. With my experience they will hide a lot in the beginning (just like any other fish) and will get tamer adventually. Are you going to make this tank planted as well?

Good luck! :mrgreen:

Looks great. In fact, you could easily add another school of 8 small tetras like rummynoses or bloodfins. The corys will be happy in a group of four. They're fun fish to have in the tank too.

hers updated list:
8 Rummynoses
8 Neon Tetras
8 Pristella Tetras
4 Peppered Cory Cats
1 Clown Pleco
what colour of substrate would look good?

go ahead and make it 8 of the cory's, i just upgraded my school from 2 to 6 and they are amazing. They really keep the bottomlively as well.

Personally i like a natural substrate, but i think a dark substrate would really bring out the color of your tetra's. And a black backdrop as well would really make the colors on the Neons and Rummynose stand out.

updated list agaiN
8 Bloodfin tetras
8 Rummynoses
8 Neon Tetras
8 Pristella Tetras
1 Clown Pleco

I still think you should get some cory cats, they are excellent at keeping the bottom clean of excess food and suck. Although not very colorful, they are very active and playful, they play in my bubble curtain all the time.

Plants...definitely live plants.....make for an overall heathier aquarium. The only other thing I would add (were I you), would be a single centerpiece fish...perhaps a dwarf gourami.

8 Bloodfin tetras
8 Rummynoses
8 Neon Tetras
8 Pristella Tetras
1 Clown Pleco
1 dwarf gourami

If you get the dwarf gourami, see if you can't get a female to go with it, some places they are hard to find, but i found my Male Flame Dwarf Gourami's colors are much much brighter since i bought him 2 females.

I think you borrowed that stocking list from me, if so I'm flattered. However, the cories were there for a reason, they do a great job scavenging the bottom of the tank, so don't get rid of them. your last list:

8 Rummynoses
8 Neon Tetras
8 Pristella Tetras
4 Peppered Cory Cats
1 Clown Pleco

looked the best to me, assuming you don't want any ADFs in there, I love the little guys.

ya it was your list.
8 Bloodfin tetras
8 Rummynoses
8 Neon Tetras
8 Pristella Tetras
4 Peppered Cory Cats
1 Clown Pleco
1 dwarf gourami
would that be over stocked?

ok i got a bunch more questions
how many watt heater?
what kind of canister wold u reecommend?
plants for 2.0 wpg?

I would suggest the 300w titanium heater...but you could go with a 200w. A fluval 304 is an excellent canister. You can get a good look at the types of plants that can go into your tank here. The plants are listed by low, med and high light.

The heater and canister is best when purchased on line...This place will match any online competitors price.

HTH.

Back
Top Bottom