New 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

palerider

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay... I have a 5,000 gallon outside KOI pond... I leave most of my fish outside for the winter... I just bought some KOI from japan that are 6" and wanted to bring them in for the winter so I could still feed them and watch them ( these koi are 100$ a pop ) So right now I have a 55 gallon tank with ( 2 Powerhead with Quick Filters and using a whisper with Super Porous Ceramic Media, also 2 airstones for oxygen ) I have 2 plants in there now to cycle the tank. Does this stepup seem like it will work for my 2 koi...

Attachments

• champkoishowa_116.jpg
    champkoishowa_116.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 14
  • pondpic_537.jpg
    pondpic_537.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 19
i don't know about the size of the bioload ina 55, two koi should be fine for the winter with pleanty of water changes, but the plants will not cycle the tank.

check out this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=89185

7enigma just wrote a great write up about the cycle process and how to fishless cycle your tank for your cool koi.

Funny thing I just read that thread, but thanks... Another thing that I forgot to mention was I used 20 gallons of my pond water and some matela media from my bio falls on the pond. I put that matela media in the whisper with the Super Porous Ceramic Media...

The media should help. I would think two small Koi should winter ok in a 55 gallon. Just be sure to cycle it first and keep up with your water changes.

Welcome to AA!!!

rich311k said:
The media should help. I would think two small Koi should winter ok in a 55 gallon. Just be sure to cycle it first and keep up with your water changes.

Welcome to AA!!!

PWC what would you suggest 10 to 20 % a week...

palerider said:
rich311k said:

Welcome to AA!!!

PWC what would you suggest 10 to 20 % a week...
the larger the better imo 30-50%

I would think more like 25 -30% maybe more. Your nitrate readings will give you good guide to follow. Keep them under 40ppm and you should be good.

Nice looking pond by the way.

Back
Top Bottom