New 75 gallon tank !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCB1000

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone so for my 14th birthday my parents are going to get me a 55 or 75 gallon tank! i want African Cichlids and i also want to transition from artificial to planted tanks i have a 5 gallon (betta,ADF) and a 20 g tall (neons harlequins cories) i want to change the stock on the 20 too ... anyways i would like to have rocks and plants in the 55 or 75 so i would like carnivorous cichlids i really don't know much about cichlids and need all the help i can get.

1) how should i stock a 75 gallon African cichlid tank

2) suggested equipment

3) plant species that will look good in my 20 gallon and fish

4) plant species for my 5 gallon

5) how to properly care for the plants/fish

6) where to buy AC's in the NC area

Please help all responses will be appricated

Cichlids aren't always a great choice depending on the type of cichlid. But again it's not a 100% no. Plant choices depend more on the type of lighting you have. Are you willing to add co2? How planted do you want to go. Highlight lowlight? ferts?

Im going to follow along, as I am planning a 90 gallon and am leaning towards African Cichlids as well.

Its my understanding that you need to be careful with the plants you pick because AC's like to either eat or uproot plants. Maybe somebody with more experience could chime in on this.

Cichlids aren't always a great choice depending on the type of cichlid. But again it's not a 100% no. Plant choices depend more on the type of lighting you have. Are you willing to add co2? How planted do you want to go. Highlight lowlight? ferts?

Thanks for the response and I am willing to have Co2 and fertilizer and i am not sure what lighting what are some plant species that can go with certain lighting

Most africans will dig and uproot plants. There is a small few who don't dig as much, but pretty much all do to some extent. For decorations you want lots of rockwork/hiding places, sand so they dont hurt their gills while sifting or digging, and maybe a few fake plants if you want them.

I have cichlids completely reagrange my tank before and up root all of my live plants. It can still be done just plan on spending a lot of time fixing your tank. As far as stocking I always follow the following link.
Cookie Cutter - 75-gallons

thanks i will probally just do rocks in the 75 as far a the 20 tall what are some good begginer plant species + requirements + equipment

My dad always had mostly rocks only in his larger cichlids tanks, only minimal fake plants

Hi everyone so for my 14th birthday my parents are going to get me a 55 or 75 gallon tank! i want African Cichlids and i also want to transition from artificial to planted tanks i have a 5 gallon (betta,ADF) and a 20 g tall (neons harlequins cories) i want to change the stock on the 20 too ... anyways i would like to have rocks and plants in the 55 or 75 so i would like carnivorous cichlids i really don't know much about cichlids and need all the help i can get.

1) how should i stock a 75 gallon African cichlid tank
Start by researching species that you find interesting, and then asking questions about compatibility with other species that you like. There are many, many species available in the hobby so asking us to choose your perfect stock list is much easier said than done.

2) suggested equipment
You'll need a nice big filter or two. If you can afford a big canister filter, that would be my suggestion. A rena XP4 would easily run your tank by itself.

3) plant species that will look good in my 20 gallon and fish
If it's Rift Lake cichlids you're after, chances are they will be very rough on any plants. Mbuna will outright eat them, but even Tanganyikans will dig enough to bother rooted plants. If you like Tanganyikans, Anubias plants or java ferns could work because you can attach them to decor.

4) plant species for my 5 gallon
Depends on lighting.

5) how to properly care for the plants/fish
There's a lot of research you can do on your own that will answer your basic questions, then you can come back with more specific questions that we can help you with. You probably aren't going to get a whole lot of responses by asking us to tell you everything about caring for your plants and fish.

6) where to buy AC's in the NC area
Check out the Raleigh club if you're able. Their water is great for rift lake cichlids and I believe their club breeds a lot of them.

Please help all responses will be appricated

Comments in bold. Good luck with the setup.

New 75 gallon!!

Hi everyone so for my 14th birthday my parents are going to get me a 75 gallon tank! i want African Cichlids and i was wondering first of all would this work and stocking if so i would like to know how many of each and M:F ratio

Ruby red peacock
Demasoni cichlids
Bumblebee cichlids
yellow lab cichlids
yellow tail acei
yellow peacock
strawberry peacock
Rusty cichlids
Thanks!

p.s any food suggestions would be appreciated :)

If you want to do males and females. Its 3 females to one male. And personally I hate that. I had only ine female bought on mistake and was picked yo death by the male.

I would suggest only males. And over stock. I have 14 cichlids in my 55 and am understocked. I plan on adding 3-5 more Tuesday. You imo can have 20-30 mbuna. Just make sure to introduce 5-7 on day one. And keep adding them in groups throughout the weeks. Make sure they are the same size and try to make a cave for every fish. I know it seems unrealistic but trust me I have aggression problems because I don't.

Your stock seems ok. Not perfect but fine. Keep us posted.

If you want to do males and females. Its 3 females to one male. And personally I hate that. I had only ine female bought on mistake and was picked yo death by the male.

I would suggest only males. And over stock. I have 14 cichlids in my 55 and am understocked. I plan on adding 3-5 more Tuesday. You imo can have 20-30 mbuna. Just make sure to introduce 5-7 on day one. And keep adding them in groups throughout the weeks. Make sure they are the same size and try to make a cave for every fish. I know it seems unrealistic but trust me I have aggression problems because I don't.

Your stock seems ok. Not perfect but fine. Keep us posted.

Thanks for advice to be honest i was leaning towards an all male tank anyways but thought it might be hard i am not a beginner to the hobby just cichlids i'm used to fw community fish, bettas ect... what are some of the flaws in the stock i want to make sure it is good for a beginner cichlid owner

Back
Top Bottom