New 79 Gallon Tank: Need Advice on Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sawdust

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting ready to build a 79 Gallon Tank. I need advice and insight into the special requirements of a tank this size. I plan on getting a normal HOB filter, but am unsure of the flow rate to look for. I also need to know what wattage to look for in a heater, and anything else I may be overlooking.

I am planning on stocking this tank with Yo-Yo loaches, and a few Zebras. (I would like some Clown Loaches, but figure this tank is too small at 48" long x 21" wide x 18" high.) The loaches will be the main inhabitants, and I will add some smaller schooling fish to fill the upper levels.

I would really like to make my tank look like some I have seen with the rock background and a couple of piles of rock in the tank. I believe I saw them on a Cichlid website, and they looked very nice, kind of like sunken ruins in the jungle. The problem is that I have no idea how to achieve this look. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would suggest (2) 200 watt heaters for that size tank. General rule is 5 watts per gallon. I don't think any HOB on it's own is adaquate for that size tank JMO. You might want to combine that with a cannister filter. This way you'd have all the filtration you'd ever require.

Thanks for the reply! What size filters? I have a 200 gph HOB filter on my 29 gal right now. I could put that on the 79, and buy a cannister filter to go with it.

I used 2 330 biowheels on my 125 with good success. I picked up a eheim for it so I took off 1 of the 330s. You can't have to much filtration as long as the current isn't overpowering the fish. Clean is GOOD! I agree with the 2 200 heaters. Good insurance if 1 fails and better distribution of heat. Put 1 at each end, preferably near a filter outlet.

If you want to stick with HOB filters, get 2 Emperor 400s and your tank will stay clean. You should try to turn your water over about 10 times per hour IMO, and the Emperors combined will filter 800 gph. Big Al's sells them for about $40 apiece. I agree with the heaters also. I have 3 tanks that sound like the look you're going for, and I can tell you that you will save so much $$$ if you get some rocks at a garden center. Mine sells them for $.35/pound. If you are not sure they are safe to use, get some vinegar and pour it over the rocks. If it fizzes, don't use it! HTH :D

Thanks for all of the advice! I am extremely interested in saving $$$. I will check out Home Depot and Lowes to see what they have.

I assume that if I decide to use the 2 Emperors, that one should go on each end of the tank, right?

Thanks,
Sawdust

Yeah, I put my filters on opposite ends of the tank. BTW, I looked at Lowes and all they had was pavers, they recommended the garden center to me. Not sure about Home Depot (we don't have one here) but you might have better luck at locally owned garden centers. :D

Ahh, ok. I know of just such a place, I think!

I am at a tossup though. I have compared the cost of building a 79 gallon acrylic tank, plus the stand and hood, (I drew up the plans yesterday) with the cost of buying a 55 gallon All-Glass tank, with the stand, hood, lights, pump, heater, etc. It will cost about $150 - $200 more for the 79 gallon, which will be 7 inches wider. My question is, will the extra 336 square inches of bottom space be worth the extra money? Or will a 55 gallon tank be just as good for the species that I am planning on stocking it with?

With the fish you mentioned, you should have no problems with a 55. More gallons, or actually surface area just means it will handle more fish. A 79 gal tank is large enough to demand bigger or doubled up filters, heaters etc, so the cost is higher. I like glass tanks anyway. They dont scratch or bow.

Back
Top Bottom