New 80 Gal. 1/4 cylinder fresh - Share

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh-Color-80

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:fish2::fish2:Wanted to share my new tank-:fish2::fish2:

*** AQUARIUM ***
• Aqua One 880 1/4 round 80 gal. Tank
• Eheim Pro 3 Ultra G90 Canister Filter
• Wave Point T5 Blue/White Light
• AA UV Sterilizer Power Head
• VivaAqua Titanium 300 watt Heater
• Whisper-100 Air Pump

*** FISH ***
• Red Platey (arrow) X4
• Std. Plecostomus X2
• Sunset Platty X3
• Red Sword Wag X1
• Tetra Black Skirt X8
• Black Molly X1
• Rubber Lip Plecostomus X3
• Blue Gourami X2
• Red Gourami X2
• Opaline Gourami X2
• Clown Loach X2
• Catfish X1
• Rainbow Shark (Red tips) X3
• Synodontis Cat (Leopard spots) x2
• Bumble bee Gobi x8
• Asst. mix Angel X3
• Sterby Cory Cat X2
• Electric Blue Ram X2
• Black ghost knife X1
• Black Kulhi Loach X2
• Glass Catfish X2
• Spotted Leaf Gourami X5

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 159
Very nice!

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe you are overstocked?
3 sharks I believe is too many for that tank size, and the black ghost knife needs over 100 gallons?
Also, with that many Gouramis, you are almost certain to see aggression.
Glass catfish are shy and like to be in groups of 4 minimum to feel secure
Same with the black loaches

I do know for sure that the two common plecos will need to be rehomed. They need a bigger tank than that.

Another member will hopefully chime in, but I'm not sure how well that stock is going to get along together :/

Thx for the comments!

So far the Gourami's are playing well with others. No problems at all. It looks like my list was inaccurate though. There are 4 Glass Cats that do hang together - nobody seems to bother them, and there are only 3 small rainbow sharks (2"). The ghost knife is small right now (abt. 3") and will trade him in when he gets bigger. That one was a gamble for sure. Has his little hiding spot and only comes out to feed. I may decide to remove some of the Wags, Platies and one of the std. Plecos if water levels become problematic. But so far levels are good, fish are active, colors are better than ever and everyone seems to be happy ;-)

**Updated livestock**
• Red Platy X4
• Std. Plecostomus X2
• Sunset Platy X3
• Red Sword Wag X1
• Tetra Black Skirt X8
• Black Molly X1
• Blue Gourami X2
• Red Gourami X2
• Opaline Gourami X2
• Clown Loach X4
• Pictus Catfish X1
• Bumble bee Gobi x8
• Asst. mix Angel X2
• Sterby Cory Cat X2
• Electric Blue Ram X2
• Black ghost knife X1
• Black Kulhi Loach X2
• Glass Catfish X4
• Blue Ram X2
• Reticulating Hillstream X1

**Updated livestock**
• Red Platy X4
• Std. Plecostomus X2
• Sunset Platy X3
• Red Sword Wag X1
• Tetra Black Skirt X8
• Black Molly X1
• Blue Gourami X2
• Red Gourami X2
• Opaline Gourami X2
• Clown Loach X4
• Pictus Catfish X1
• Bumble bee Gobi x8
• Asst. mix Angel X2
• Sterby Cory Cat X2
• Electric Blue Ram X2
• Black ghost knife X1
• Black Kulhi Loach X2
• Glass Catfish X4
• Blue Ram X2
• Reticulating Hillstream X1

That's far too many fish, it might be fine for now why they are all young but even the platys/tetras/Molly's will double in size, i would think about returning/rehoming some of them. once all your fish reach maturity half your tank will be fighting for territories, the other half will be too large to fit in. Do you know the sexes of all your Gouramis? If they are all males you will have problems, if there's less females than males you will have dead females.

Tuck,

Thx for the info.

From what I can gather the red and blue dwarf gourami are males. The Opaline gourami are female (larger belly / rounded dorsal fin). Do you have to have a 1:1 gourami ratio or all males? If I need to reduce the head count, what fish would you recommend removing at this point? The Molly's, platies, and std. Pleco I can live without if I need to reduce fish count.

Tuck,

Thx for the info.

From what I can gather the red and blue dwarf gourami are males. The Opaline gourami are female (larger belly / rounded dorsal fin). Do you have to have a 1:1 gourami ratio or all males? If I need to reduce the head count, what fish would you recommend removing at this point? The Molly's, platies, and std. Pleco I can live without if I need to reduce fish count.

If possible 2:1 but pairs can work fine. Some people have problems with all males but it depends on the fish temperament. I've found that if they are placed in the tank together and are young they don't become violent.

Use AqAdvisor for stocking. It will tell you what fish are/are not compatible with your tank :)

Back
Top Bottom