New 90g reef ready tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kdpuffer said:
Alright, I just saw two pipes and assumed. It's looking good.

Lol yeah I can see why u thought it tho, hopefully get the return pipe in later. Thanks.

I've asked before I know but could I get away without adding the small strip of glass on to my second baffle, I'll add a pic of the sump again now, it's just the first baffle is raised but the next two are the same height, will it be ok as it is? Or do i have to add the extra piece? They sent me 2 extra pieces of glass but not sure what they are for. I'll attach a pic of them 2.

You have it backwards. the first partition does nothing being raised. You want a bubble trap before the return. I have no idea what that angle cut piece is for.

mr_X said:
You have it backwards. the first partition does nothing being raised. You want a bubble trap before the return. I have no idea what that angle cut piece is for.

Lol no wonder I was confused haha, so if I turn the sump around I'm good to go?
I couldn't figure out the angled piece either.

Well, run your return pump and see if those 2 partitions at the end will stop the bubbles from returning to the DT. If you are still getting bubbles, you may want to add another partition or two. ....And yes, basically just turn it around, as long as the intake section is large enough to hold your skimmer. What size is that area?

mr_X said:
Well, run your return pump and see if those 2 partitions at the end will stop the bubbles from returning to the DT. If you are still getting bubbles, you may want to add another partition or two. ....And yes, basically just turn it around, as long as the intake section is large enough to hold your skimmer. What size is that area?

Well I've turned the sump around and put my back out at the same time, heard a click and that was me on the floor for 5mins in agony lol. the first chamber is just under 6 inches my skimmer is just under 7 but was planning on hanging it on the side of the sump rather than in it.

mr_X said:
You are putting a HOB skimmer on a 90? I would rethink that before filling the sump up.

Yeah i was planning on it but hanging it on the sump instead of the tank, the skimmer won't fit in the sump unless I move the first baffle over an inch, do you think it'll be worth moving the baffle then? This is how I was going to have it.

That doesn't look like it's going to handle a 90+ gallon tank, was my point. The best benefit of a sump is that you'll be able to purchase a larger, more efficient skimmer for the tank. Without that benefit, I don't see why you would waste the time implementing it.

mr_X said:
That doesn't look like it's going to handle a 90+ gallon tank, was my point. The best benefit of a sump is that you'll be able to purchase a larger, more efficient skimmer for the tank. Without that benefit, I don't see why you would waste the time implementing it.

So I'll need a better skimmer? This one is rated for tanks upto 1500litre, just under 4x my tank volume.

That little skimmer is rated for almost 400 gallons? What pump comes with it? What skimmer is that exactly?

mr_X said:
That little skimmer is rated for almost 400 gallons? What pump comes with it? What skimmer is that exactly?

Yeah lol, it's called a turboflotor blue 3000, the pump it comes with is rated at 2500 litres(700 gallons) an hour.

mr_X said:
Interesting. I'd like to hear how you make out with that.

So u think I should give it a go? I can always upgrade it later on if it's not doing a good enough job, was planning on getting a bigger sump sometime down the road too.

It just doesn't look like any skimmer that I have seen that's rated for 400 gallons. They are usually giant when you get to that kind of rating. I can't speak for it's efficiency though, as I don't have any experience with that particular skimmer. I used to have an old turbofloater 1000 years ago, that worked ok, but I would not have used it on a 250 gallon tank like the manufacturer suggests. I'd try it if the price is ok.

mr_X said:
It just doesn't look like any skimmer that I have seen that's rated for 400 gallons. They are usually giant when you get to that kind of rating. I can't speak for it's efficiency though, as I don't have any experience with that particular skimmer. I used to have an old turbofloater 1000 years ago, that worked ok, but I would not have used it on a 250 gallon tank like the manufacturer suggests. I'd try it if the price is ok.

Yeah I understand what your saying, i think I'm gonna go for it, I'm not gonna go crazy with this tank as far as stock (corals and fish) as I'm still learning new things about it all, I'm planning on upgrading a few things next year when I understand a lot more, so bigger sump and better skimmer will be two of those things if this skimmer ain't cutting it.

Another thing if you can help, with the bulkheads do I glue them in? Or will the nut and rubber be good enough to make it water tight?

And thanks for your help so far, I appreciate it.

Go finger tight put water in them and then tighten them just until they stop leaking use a flashlight u don't want to break the tank which can happen if u tighten them to far

Yeah I was wary of tightening them up too much, I have some aquarium safe silicone here so I might just go round them with that for extra peace of mind.

Just hooked up my lights 2, and wow their bright, very happy with them so far. Their at 10% in the pic.

Back
Top Bottom