New, and HUUUUGE, tank to set up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[quote="2cvbloke
It's not in the front desk, it's placed in the middle of the shop between two pillars, so it's a feature that can be seen from both sides...

[/quote]
If you it want to look good from both sides I would definately not go planted.

Looks like a 125 gal, not that big of a tank nowadays.

I'd suggest a dwarf cichlid tank, or maybe a semi-aggressive - aggressive cichlid tank.

Good luck

I have a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank set up as tropical. When I first got the tank I had a pretty good idea on what type of fish and what look I wanted. From that point on it was all about doing some more research and planning.
Main point in all of this: Work out what you want before hand. Im not talking about just the fish, Im talking about the more important things like "How often is someone available to clean it", "is the tank in a busy area?", "is there direct sunlight on it ever?" etc etc.

Ive had mine running for about 4 months now and its 70 - 80% done.
I have:

Shoal of 11 Lemon Tetras (they bred within 2 weeks of putting them in!)

Shoal of 12 Neon Tetras.

2 x Kribs (1 male and 1 female) have just produced 2nd batch of babies and Im hoping they dont eat em this time.

2 x Dwarf Cuckoo Chiclids (Male and Female)

1 x Keyhole Chiclid

2 x Dutch Rams

2 x Bronze Corys (will be adding a few more in to make up the shoal soon)

1 x Golden Nugget Pleco (JUST bought him. VERY happy :) )
1 x Clown Plec
1 x Bristlenose Plec

4 x Green line Rasboras

Ive got a fair few 'normal' fish which are nice to look at and also make up a large proportion of the tank population. Ive then been adding, slowly, some 'show' fish like the Golden Nugget pleco, the dwarf cuckoo chichild, dutch rams etc.
Ive tried not to have too many show fish so that you have to search a little in the tank to see them.
----------------------------------------------
Filteration (I think i got the model nums right).
1 x 1000ltr/hr 2217 Ehiem canister filter with ceramic hoops and a bag of activated carbon. Returns via a spray bar, just breaking the surface.
1 x 600ltr/hr 2117 Ehiem canister flter with in built heater in case other heater breaks down. This one is loaded with ceramic hoops and 3 foam discs (2 course , 1 fine). Returns via an open ended pipe into the tank, going in the same direction of flow as the other filter so that it helps push the crap down to one end. So far, so good it works without making too much of a flow.

With this set up, the water quality is 100% crystal clear. NOTE: I had a very large piece of bogwood in the tank, as well as other smaller bits, hence why Im using the activated carbon.
Its not cheap, but the carbon lasts 6 weeks and costs £12.00 for a big tub.
If the appearance of the water is important to the business then I would suggest that you spend some time thinking this through. a) For the good of the livestock within the tank and b) for the appearance of the tank.

Hope Ive not rambled on too much and I hope it helps.

Just been browsing eBay and came accross THIS neat little gadget, would the fish be bothered by one or would it be a fun addition to the tank? You know, to keep kids entertained wile their parents are buying a new PC... :mrgreen:

i have one of those rc subs. when handled by an adult with respect for the fish it can be quite entertaining and the fish won't be bothered much at all. however, i fear for the fish if this toy were put in the hands of a child or a malicious adult.

justrelax said:
i have one of those rc subs. when handled by an adult with respect for the fish it can be quite entertaining and the fish won't be bothered much at all. however, i fear for the fish if this toy were put in the hands of a child or a malicious adult.

Ah, good point, I'll just get one to play with in the bath... :mrgreen:

Honestly speaking it is great you and your boss want to be active in the tanks operation. You very well should be but I think you should look in the yellow pages for a firm that goes around and maintains and setups workplace tanks. They could also give you an idea for a layout. That way when work has everyone stressing no one forgets to clean the tank or feed them.

That would be the best way IMO and still having an active interest to it all would allow you and your boss to handle an emergency or take care of it for a day the tank guys can't come.

I see at least 3 firms in my town all the time so there is good chance your city should have one.

GodOSoot said:
Honestly speaking it is great you and your boss want to be active in the tanks operation. You very well should be but I think you should look in the yellow pages for a firm that goes around and maintains and setups workplace tanks. They could also give you an idea for a layout. That way when work has everyone stressing no one forgets to clean the tank or feed them.

That would be the best way IMO and still having an active interest to it all would allow you and your boss to handle an emergency or take care of it for a day the tank guys can't come.

I see at least 3 firms in my town all the time so there is good chance your city should have one.

The nearest city here is Manchester... :mrgreen:

As for getting an external tank maintainance person in, it would cost money which my bosses won't want...

Also, we're sorting out specific days and times to feed and clean the tank, so whtever work there is to do, that would be dropped and the tank would take presidence....

Well, it was going to be this week, but it may be next week, or the week after, and so-on, and the tank WILL be set up!!! Any longer and it'll become a Laptop display case!!! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom