New and in need of advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tankgrl88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:flowers: I'm new and am waist deep headed for the undertow.I am enthused yet I have until next month to even begin cycling 2 tanks. Therefore I'm looking for wise advice while I await these weeks.:fish2:

Recently we purchased a 20g long freshwater that will soon have my existing 7 black skirts. Adding a school of Neons is probably a poor choice, right? Would it be recommended to leave it as a solo species aquarium? Any thoughts that may work if any?
We like tiger barbs and raspbosa as well as guppies but none seem appropriate.

In addition we bought a 40g breeder . The plan is a few Angels but the tankmate list we both would like to add always involves much conflict. We don't wish to breed the Angels and will leave the water more around 80°. Does anyone have any ideas? Neon schools or rummy nose tetra schools have a bad potential. Guppies too. This is a difficult decision of course. We want a harmonious tank/s.

Thanks for any help. I'm happy to be here. :)

I am into harmonious tanks too. For the 20 gal., if you had the black skirts somewhere else a suggestion. I had a species tank of honey gouramis, in a 20 I'd say 5. Only one male or no male. They swam the tank, interacted with each other and I enjoyed that tank.

I had 7 in a 29 gallon.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I agree with you on the Guppies - I've never had much luck with keeping them.

As for the Black Skirts, I have 5 with Zebra Danios that get along fantastically. Danios are cheap, beautiful, and in my experience, their energy and pep can really bring my mood up when I'm feeling down. How about adding a school of them? 6-10 could work with your Black Skirts in the 20 gal. Other options could be 4-6 Corydoras (which I personally find adorable) or a Dwarf Pleco. If you're willing to take risk and have some space in other tanks in case things don't go well, you could add a small sorority of female bettas. If this is the option you go with, remember to have at least 3 and try to keep it an odd number. You might see come bickering among them at first, but they should sort out their hierarchy within a day or so.
Good luck!

Thank you for the replies. :)
If I added zebra Danios would the 2 schools BST\ZD not be nippy with about 7 BSTs?
Curiously would 9 BSTs with 7 ZDs be too much stock in a 20g L?

I can't part with my BSTs because they have seen me through my reestablishing my aqua powers, so to speak. :D The only place I could put them would be the Angels future home and I have discovered they could shred Angels to pieces.

Thank you for the replies. :)
If I added zebra Danios would the 2 schools BST\ZD not be nippy with about 7 BSTs?
Curiously would 9 BSTs with 7 ZDs be too much stock in a 20g L?

I can't part with my BSTs because they have seen me through my reestablishing my aqua powers, so to speak. :D The only place I could put them would be the Angels future home and I have discovered they could shred Angels to pieces.

As long as you have the short fin variety of BST, you should have no problems with nipping. If you have the long-fin variation, you could try the ZDs, but make sure the tank is heavily planted so the fish have somewhere to hide if they're being bothered.
As for the stocking, 16 small fish won't have too many problems with bio-load. Your filter should be somewhere around 100-200 GPH if you're going with that many fish.

As long as you have the short fin variety of BST, you should have no problems with nipping. If you have the long-fin variation, you could try the ZDs, but make sure the tank is heavily planted so the fish have somewhere to hide if they're being bothered.
As for the stocking, 16 small fish won't have too many problems with bio-load. Your filter should be somewhere around 100-200 GPH if you're going with that many fish.
Mine are luckily the short fin ones. Thank you.

Have you looked into cories?

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Back
Top Bottom