New Beta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright... I have one, and its in my guppy tank. The guppies have left it alone completely, and it seems content with fighting its own reflection on my water heater :-|

They're not very bright fish, are they?

Pictures to follow.

Oh, The reason why i didn't put it in my tank with the gourami, is that the gourami swam up to the bag, and they both went at eachother , hitting the bag. Didn't look like a good start.

sudz said:
They're not very bright fish, are they.

Give him a few days and you'll find that statment to be way off base. IMO Betta's are very bright fish. From the way they build there nest to the way they care for there young. I have 25 males { 4 vail tail, 10 crown tail, 6 half moon plakat, 5 dalta double tails and 30 females.
The males will all eat from my hand and stick there heads out of the water to get there food I rying to teach a couple of the guys to roll ove hen fed. LOL J/K they are very smart cretures thou.

Also when you add him to a tank and the fighten started. That a good sign of things to come. LOLI don't thank it woud have been good either.

I just put my husbands new Betta in my 10 gallon tank with a pair of GBRs. He's been in there for about 15 minutes and so far, everything's been okay. The rams are very curious of the Betta, they keep watching him and swimming around him. I will keep an eye on them and be ready to pull the Betta if they look like they may start fighting.

The Betta seems very happy to be in there, he's swimming around, looking at everything. Must be nice for him to finally have some room to swim, rather than be confined in a tiny little bowl. We have a 1/2 gallon little Betta tank for him but it doesn't have a heater or a light, so I thought I'd give this a try and see what happens.

Hey there linda how's the GBR eggs going so far. I've moved mine into a heated hatchery now hoping that this will help them to hatch sooner. LOL I usually keep them at room temp. But not these eggs. No mam I'm payig a lot closer attintion to them. LOL I own them all to you. If you havn't had sent me the wild rams. My little female wouldn't have had them. LOL
I hope this works out for your hubbys betta. I have a girlfriend or 50 for her so just let me know when you want me to snd them to him. LOL

Weasel F. said:
sudz said:
They're not very bright fish, are they.

Give him a few days and you'll find that statment to be way off base. IMO Betta's are very bright fish. From the way they build there nest to the way they care for there young. I have 25 males { 4 vail tail, 10 crown tail, 6 half moon plakat, 5 dalta double tails and 30 females.
The males will all eat from my hand and stick there heads out of the water to get there food I rying to teach a couple of the guys to roll ove hen fed. LOL J/K they are very smart cretures thou.

Also when you add him to a tank and the fighten started. That a good sign of things to come. LOLI don't thank it woud have been good either.

Wow that is a lot of bettas! 8O If you don't mind me asking, are they each in a separate tank? The males I mean.

No i don't mind at all. I love talking about my Betta's,there my newly found breding passion. all the male vailtails or housed in 2.5 g tanks. I house 5 of my Crown tails in 10g tanks with kribs ,apistos , the other 5 are on 5g tanks { because they want live with anything else mean as he_ _ } the 6 halfmoons are the same way want live with anything and are houed in 2.5g tanks. then the 6 dalte double tails are funny there's 2 males per 10g tanks.
I've been doing some self reserches on the double tails behaver. I've found that with them as long as the other male being housed with them dosn't have the same color { main or top color } they'll live with one another. But with the same basic tearey in mind. The more colorful male will be the controling faxter in where the other male is allowed to go in the tank. Then I've also tryed this with larger tanks and it dosn't sem to work at all. But in a smaller tank say 10g and under. This sems to come back into play.
The two double tail males that will live togeather in the same 5 g want in a larger tank. But you can move them str8 from that larger tank and put them back in 5g tank and there fine again. So I quit havn't figured that out butstill working on it to see if it will help out with the crown tail and vail tai mles. I have managed to get 2 male vail tails of the same color to live together in a 55gl. but nothing smaller.

I have 9 males and 6 females. 3 pairs live together, 2 females live together, the other lives alone. All the rest of the males have their own homes....
I have always wondered if you had a large tank if several males will live peacefully. What a beautiful site, to see a tank filled with colorful male and female bettas. I mean there isn't just one male in all the rice paddies right? So Weasel F.. how do you have yours housed?

hey! Ok, My male betta has been in there since friday, and its gone 99% hitch free:

I think he took a chunk out of my only mature male guppy (who also is a runt) fancy fin. He leaves ALL the other guppies alone, and now that the fin of the male is "smaller" he seems to be leaving that one alone too. All the other guppies are MUCH faster than He.

He doesn't touch my tijii cories or my clown loach. I think i may slowly turn away from guppies. I have friends who need an expanded gene pool for their tanks, and all my "babies" are perfect, (at least i think so!)

At least i don't have to feed them for the next WEEK (spent the last hour vac'ing the tank... lid came off my shrimp pellets... :-|)

Off to study! The college strike in ontario KILLED me. ... And the teachers say they did it for the students... PAH!

Back
Top Bottom