New Betta Fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aniistarr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got a new male halfmoon betta fish, and he is just gorgeous!!! he is a very active little guy!

At first i didn't like the idea of having a betta since they look sad and inactive in that tiny little cups that LFS has them. I though they are not active (as many people might think too) BUT i was wrong Betta are very active and fun to watch, and of course at the LFS, how betta can move if they barely have space to move around. People don't get to appreciate how active and beautiful they are. It's sad some people might not buy them because of what they see (sadly i was one of them) since i got a 2G and could not raise 3 bloofin tetra (which i gave them away) 2 Panda Cory (died) and 2 Swordtail (died). i heard the best way for a 2G is a betta most wont agree with me, but i believe is the perfect home for my betta with proper care i know he will be happy! :)

If someone is considering to get a Betta fish, GET IT. They are very active and fun to watch :fish2:

Aniistarr said:
I just got a new male halfmoon betta fish, and he is just gorgeous!!! he is a very active little guy!

At first i didn't like the idea of having a betta since they look sad and inactive in that tiny little cups that LFS has them. I though they are not active (as many people might think too) BUT i was wrong Betta are very active and fun to watch, and of course at the LFS, how betta can move if they barely have space to move around. People don't get to appreciate how active and beautiful they are. It's sad some people might not buy them because of what they see (sadly i was one of them) since i got a 2G and could not raise 3 bloofin tetra (which i gave them away) 2 Panda Cory (died) and 2 Swordtail (died). i heard the best way for a 2G is a betta most wont agree with me, but i believe is the perfect home for my betta with proper care i know he will be happy! :)

If someone is considering to get a Betta fish, GET IT. They are very active and fun to watch :fish2:

Once you get one you'll want more. LOL. I bought my 1st one back in Feb. I now have 2 males in individual 10g tanks, & 5 females in a 46g. When I started I was clueless & had the males in 1g tanks as well as one of my females. If you get an opportunity to get him into a 10g you'll be happy you did. It sounds like it'd be too big but it isn't. Both of my males take full advantage of the room to swim. I love seeing their fins flowing, one is a veil tail & the other a crown tail. They LOVE plants especially ones with broad leaves they can lay on & caves. Also they love frozen blood worms & frozen brine shrimp. Make sure you do very frequent water changes with a tank that size as ammonia can build up quicker. Anyways enjoy your boy & post a pic when you can would love to see him.

Oh and if you don't have a heater get one if the water temp is less than 76-78 they do better & are more active if their water temp is 78-80, mine all stay right about 80.

is 1 gallon good for bettas? 2.5 g?

peoples opinions vary on this, most feel 5 gal is the min. I wouldn't go smaller for a few reasons.

Not only for the fish to have room to move and do it's own thing but also to help with your water quality. It would be SO hard to keep the quality on a 1 gallon under control. All of these spikes add stress to you fish. Honestly with fish the bigger the better.

Once you get one you'll want more. LOL. I bought my 1st one back in Feb. I now have 2 males in individual 10g tanks, & 5 females in a 46g. When I started I was clueless & had the males in 1g tanks as well as one of my females. If you get an opportunity to get him into a 10g you'll be happy you did. It sounds like it'd be too big but it isn't. Both of my males take full advantage of the room to swim. I love seeing their fins flowing, one is a veil tail & the other a crown tail. They LOVE plants especially ones with broad leaves they can lay on & caves. Also they love frozen blood worms & frozen brine shrimp. Make sure you do very frequent water changes with a tank that size as ammonia can build up quicker. Anyways enjoy your boy & post a pic when you can would love to see him.

Yes, i kind of want to get another one haha. I don't have space for a 10G. I wanted a community tank before, but i couldn't :(, and since i have a 2G that's why i decided to get a Betta, i could get a 5G though. I am thinking to buy real plants, right know i have everything fake, but will definitely getting a real one for my tank soon! Right know i a feeding him with pellets, i will consider those option you gave me. Usually i do 50% water change every week :)

Have you breed betta? since you have both male and female!

A picture of my little guy

Attachments

• image-719162398.jpg
    image-719162398.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 72
is 1 gallon good for bettas? 2.5 g?

I know a lot of people here will say the best to keep bettas is between 5G to 10G. like i said i have him in a 2G and so far he is doing fine, anyways is better than where the LFS has them in a smaller space. I think they will do fine, but i guess like many here say they will do best at 5G :) If you have space for a 5G or 10G then go ahead, if not i guess it should be fine! :fish2:

I know a lot of people here will say the best to keep bettas is between 5G to 10G. like i said i have him in a 2G and so far he is doing fine, anyways is better than where the LFS has them in a smaller space. I think they will do fine, but i guess like many here say they will do best at 5G :) If you have space for a 5G or 10G then go ahead, if not i guess it should be fine! :fish2:

Sideways tanks or hexagon because the 1 gallon is hexagon shaped

Back
Top Bottom