New born fish - dalmatian mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nrose23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Dalmatian platys just gave birth and there are 10-11 little ones in there I also have 1 blue gourami and 2 normal platys in there.. Now that there are new babies in there what should I do different in my maintenance routine to protect the new borns and maintain a healthy fish tank?

I know I think I'm going to do that but there are 10-11 of them and I would think are pretty hard to catch

A fine mesh fish net should get them, if not then I have used a large cup before to do it. Or just leave them to fend for themselves, some of them may make it if they have enough hiding places.

jetajockey said:
Your best bet is to move them to a separate tank or to a breeder net, the other fish will eat them.

I agree, they will be free snacks for the other fishes. If you don't have time to get a breeder net you could use a gallon milk cut in half and just poke small holes in it. Then clip it to the side of the tank.
I've never seen those platies before can we get a pic?

theyre livebearers,which(IME)are easier to catch when fry than egglayer fry(took me like 10 min to catch 1 jewel fry lol),ive found swordtails fry easy to catch. if you have plants like java moss,they might survive

I don't have real plants they're just for decor and I've had them for 3 days now and they've all survived, should I feed a little more than usual so the other fish might not get hungry and eat the babies?

I don't have real plants they're just for decor and I've had them for 3 days now and they've all survived, should I feed a little more than usual so the other fish might not get hungry and eat the babies?
that doesnt really help. what is your substrate? ive had swordtail fry hide in the spaces between gravel

Back
Top Bottom