New breed of Goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jillrefan1986

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the site and I first wanted to say hello.

I had quite a few goldfish ranging in different kinds of breeds (Comets, Ranchu, Calico, Black Moor, Twin Tail and a Fantail). Sadly, they had a disease that wiped out the entire tank (the disease is unknown and if I begin to describe it, you may think it's ich or a bacterial infection or fungus, which it was none of the above. A wildlife expert examined the fish and was unable to diagnose it.), this is a whole different story. Anyway, before they had passed, my comet had mated with my Ranchu and had a successful batch(which they are still Alive and doing great!).

I have to ask, has anyone heard of a Ranchu/Comet breed of Goldfish? If so, what is it called? Many aquarium stores and pet store, as well as other aquarium hobbyists say they never heard of a Comet mating with a Ranchu and always seem surprised after I tell them.

Some of the babies look like the mother (Ranchu) and some look like the father (Comet). I'm not going to lie and say some aren't deformed looking (very few look deformed but they may still need to grow in order to look like either one), because some are as they have a perfectly round heads and the neck dips and then the body is higher and rounder than the head. They have even started to develop color (which I read Goldfish start to develop color after maturing to 1 years old) which some are gray, some are white, some have black, some are white with orange and a shading of yellow. Meanwhile, the mother was orange and white as well as the father.

I'm just curious if this kind of breed is out there and the actual name. If I can figure out how to upload pictures, I will upload a few of the babies.

Thanks in advance everyone!

I have no idea if that is a "type" of goldfish, and I'm not too sure the cross would produce healthy fry, but id love to see pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Considering that all goldfish are descendants of the same one fish specie ( carp), it is not surprising to me ( and shouldn;t be to anyone else) that you could have a "cross breed" spawning. As for whether this particular mix has a recognized name, that I am not sure of. You may want to google search the Goldfish Society and explain what you have and see what they say.

Hope this helps. (y)

The fry may be. A longer looking ranchu, kind of similar to a lionhead. Would love to see pics!

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your replies and info, I'm going to try the Goldfish Society and see what they say. I'll let you guys know. I'm linking 3 pictures of the babies, 1 is the size, another is the coloring up close, the third picture of the ones that are injured currently and the final picture is of all of them. They look like Comets as they are babies but some are getting the belly like the Ranchu (my favorite kind of Goldfish :-D!).

They are all doing great, there were a few mishaps though :-(. I'm assuming, some of the bigger fish ate one of the tiny fish's eye, so it survived for a few days on one eye. Another they bit the tail off and that one is still alive. I pulled the injured ones (as well as the real small ones) and placed them into a outside breeders box (it's a Marina that hangs on the outside of the tank and provides them oxygen and water flow from the main tank). The tail seems to be regrowing on the one but he swims sideways for now, eventually, he will get the strength when it regrows. They are getting fed the 3 times a day, like they are suppose too, so food isn't an issue.

Let me know what you guys think.

Hey,

Ok, pictures are up now. Let me know if you can see them. They are located in my profile under albums (which is made public).

Last edited:
I agree with Andy. Goldfish are a singular species (Carassius auratus auratus) and any breed of goldfish can reproduce with another breed. Not any different with different breeds of horses, dogs or cats.

Although there are quite a few 'novelty' breeds that exist right now, a cross between a ranchu and a common/comet is just simply that- a cross, nothing more unless someone has designated a novelty name for this but I am not aware of any breed standards that exist to recognize it. Good luck with your fry!

mabey he can make it a breed?

The AGA or Bristol Aquarist Society will not recognize it. Similar to if you crossed an english bulldog and a German Shepard and declared it a new breed of dog and wanted to show it at Westminster. Its simply a crossbred (mutt). Best correlation I can think of that makes some sense.

Novelty/faddish breeds of goldfish are not generally recognized by show standards (such as a pompom dragonball) but have names as long as their uniqueness and popularity may sustain them.

The AGA or Bristol Aquarist Society will not recognize it. Similar to if you crossed an english bulldog and a German Shepard and declared it a new breed of dog and wanted to show it at Westminster. Its simply a crossbred (mutt). Best correlation I can think of that makes some sense.

Novelty/faddish breeds of goldfish are not generally recognized by show standards (such as a pompom dragonball) but have names as long as their uniqueness and popularity may sustain them.

Hey,

That makes sense. I'm just wondering since it's not a new type of breed, what kind of a name are they (like how you say pompom dragonball is a name of a mix breed). If I try to Google "Comet Ranchu mix breed" there is no existence of it. It just either comets or ranchus.

Thanks for your help :).

you get to name it! give it a good name! and publish it even though it may be a mutt, it will be your breed and maybe one day it will be a breed! tell it to goldfish society and such. go! do it now!!

Back
Top Bottom