NEW! Bristlenose Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm interested in getting a couple of Bristlenose Plecos for my 29g. Am just starting to research and want to know what everyone thinks about them. After much trouble with diseases coming from Petsmart & Petco I'm looking at getting them online or from a privately owned LFS with a good reputation.
I found a pic of one with these type of markings online... Does this specific color/pattern have a name?

View attachment 79699

Tankmates are 6 female mollies & a female betta.

Parameters are steady:
Ph- 8.0
Ammo- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10

I do two 50% PWC per week and temp is a steady 80-82.

I welcome all comments/opinions/suggestions :) Thank you!

Well I would only do 1 bristlenose pleco unless it is at least a 48 inch tank because these guys are actually very territorial. Also I think these are a great species of pleco as they stay small make great algae eaters and look cool. They are also very peaceful to all tankmates except other plecos and I'm sorry can't help with what type of bristlenose that is.

Bummer-- I looked on Live Aquaria and they have a min purchase of $30.. and with that comes about $30 of shipping... certainly won't be ordering offline! I'll have to do some careful research on good LFS!

Right now I have 3 in a 15 gallon, but they are juvies so they're somewhat small. They do pretty well and don't seem territorial yet, maybe since they're not fully grown yet. Plan to separate them once my 55 gallon is set up.

My LFS said he has 2 in a 10 gallon tank, so more than 1 is okay, I believe. My 3 do fine. :)

I guess you could try if you have lots of hiding places and get a male and female you might be okay. It was just my expeirence with a adult male and a female in a 36 inch tank all they did was fight.

josh7 said:
I guess you could try if you have lots of hiding places and get a male and female you might be okay. It was just my expeirence with a adult male and a female in a 36 inch tank all they did was fight.

View attachment 79727

This is my tank just now.. Big colosseum and Lucy's cave.. Onions on left with more growing.. Aponogeton on right, mondo grass (may die) in front, fake plants... I'm working on growing more bulbs to eventually be all planted..
I thought of putting a flat stone in there...
I would probably need a different cave/hiding spot for the pleco(s) because mollies go in colosseum and some sleep in there, right?
I am thinking of a male & female.
Do they get territorial/aggressive when breeding?

They really never bothered any other fish they just fought amongst themselves A LOT and if you want to try 2 I would definitely add at least 3-4 more caves for hiding.

josh7 said:
They really never bothered any other fish they just fought amongst themselves A LOT and if you want to try 2 I would definitely add at least 3-4 more caves for hiding.

I need to look up how to make caves now... Lol

You can get river rock and use glue to hold the rocks together to make caves. After it hardens boil the rocks this is how I used to make my caves.

No this was about 6 years ago when I first got into the hobby I sold this tank 2 years ago because I needed some money sorry.

I have 3 (2 males and 1 female) in a 70g tank. It's a tall tank so it's only just over 3 foot long. I haven't encountered any issues. One male might chase the other briefly but it doesn't last more than a few seconds. They both have their territories. I had caves but removed them when I redid the tank. I found my guys preferred to hide/hangout between bits of wood and the substrate digging their own cave. I think a male/female pair would be fine in your tank.

Mumma.of.two said:
I have 3 (2 males and 1 female) in a 70g tank. It's a tall tank so it's only just over 3 foot long. I haven't encountered any issues. One male might chase the other briefly but it doesn't last more than a few seconds. They both have their territories. I had caves but removed them when I redid the tank. I found my guys preferred to hide/hangout between bits of wood and the substrate digging their own cave. I think a male/female pair would be fine in your tank.

Hmmm... Perhaps I can get sorts of small driftwood pieces and arrange them next to the colosseum.. And move colosseum over more to back right...

ocminpin said:
Bummer-- I looked on Live Aquaria and they have a min purchase of $30.. and with that comes about $30 of shipping... certainly won't be ordering offline! I'll have to do some careful research on good LFS!

Check out member Toddnbecka he sells them.

Back
Top Bottom