New build! Which Skimmer ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heera

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone,

I am helping a friend setup 90 gallon reef system with 40 gallon sump with refugium.

He will be stocking with;
90 lbs live rock

Fish-
Percula clownfish X 2
Blue hippo tang
Yellow tang
Foxface - 5"
Royal gramma
Flame angel
Chromis x 3
Green wrasse
Cleaner wrasse
And
2 cleaner shrimps and snails
Oh also one tiger tail cucumber

Corals - mostly LPS and 1-2 sps

Here is the skimmer choice.

Vertex IN- 180
Or
Swc xtreme 200 skimmer

If u have used any or both skimmers I would really like to know your thoughts.

Any other comments and suggestions are welcomed ofcourse.

I have a 120G DT, 40 breeder sump, and just bought the Reef Octopus POV DC-1

I was going to go with the SRO extreme 2000 int, but check out their new DC-1, it gets excellent reviews

Im not an expert by any means but from everything I have read the skimmer is something you don't want to skimp out on. And reef octopus tends to be the way most people say to go I'm about to irder one real soon. What kind of lights are you all running?

In the "other comments" department...those Tangs are very likely going to have problems. Both should be in a six foot tank. A 90g would be great for a Kole, Tomini, Two Spot, Eibli mimic or half black mimic tang.

Also...cleaner wrasses are notorious for starving to death. If you get one, make sure it is added last and I would see what the LFS was feeding it as well.

In the "other comments" department...those Tangs are very likely going to have problems. Both should be in a six foot tank. A 90g would be great for a Kole, Tomini, Two Spot, Eibli mimic or half black mimic tang.

Also...cleaner wrasses are notorious for starving to death. If you get one, make sure it is added last and I would see what the LFS was feeding it as well.

+1 on the cleaner wrasse and tang recommendations. I have never successfully kept a cleaner alive for very long. And mine all ate brine shrimp. They still eventually starved.

Go with the swc, friend at the lfs recommends them over what they sell. He brought in a gallon jug almost full in one week with a note on it saying this is why you need a skimmer. He swears by the swc said you won't be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom