New cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobby_0147

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I just started up a cichlid tank and was wondering what other SA cichlids I can keep in it. Right now I have a 90 Gallon tank with 1 AC 110, powerhead 402 with filter cover and an aquatop cf500uv canister filter(also have a spare ac110 if I need more filtration). Lighting is 2 t5ho 6700k lights about 4 inch from the top of tank. It will be a semi planted tank if the fish will let me ;) for now I have 2 Sword plants and 1 anacharis. I will be adding more driftwood and rocks in the near future. For fish I have 3 swordtails, 2 baby swords in breeder net , 1 firemouth, 1 Salvini, and 1 Jewel. There is also 2 black fin tetras but I will be moving them to a new tank soon. I was thinking about adding a Jack dempsey but was not sure what i can keep in my tank safely. Also can you ID if the 2nd pic is a Jewel. Also I read when I got home that it was an African cichlid is it safe to keep with the other SA cichlids?

Attachments

• IMG_3097.jpg
    IMG_3097.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_3105.jpg
    IMG_3105.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3110.jpg
    IMG_3110.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_3112.jpg
    IMG_3112.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 155
I wanna say its a jewel just a little washed out..is reccomend rehoming on that one though..I keep 75g SA tank heavily planted with 1 firemouth,1 green terror,1 salvini,1 pike,1 ele blue jack dempsey,1 bristlenose pleco & zebra Danios for dither fish..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120903_103339.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120903_103339.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 96
Bobby_0147 said:
Hello, I just started up a cichlid tank and was wondering what other SA cichlids I can keep in it. Right now I have a 90 Gallon tank with 1 AC 110, powerhead 402 with filter cover and an aquatop cf500uv canister filter(also have a spare ac110 if I need more filtration). Lighting is 2 t5ho 6700k lights about 4 inch from the top of tank. It will be a semi planted tank if the fish will let me ;) for now I have 2 Sword plants and 1 anacharis. I will be adding more driftwood and rocks in the near future. For fish I have 3 swordtails, 2 baby swords in breeder net , 1 firemouth, 1 Salvini, and 1 Jewel. There is also 2 black fin tetras but I will be moving them to a new tank soon. I was thinking about adding a Jack dempsey but was not sure what i can keep in my tank safely. Also can you ID if the 2nd pic is a Jewel. Also I read when I got home that it was an African cichlid is it safe to keep with the other SA cichlids?

It's hard to identify the jewel because it is very drab looking in the picture. Hopefully you'll see more color and it settles in the tank.

I think your setup is fine. The jewel should be compatible with the other fish and will give your tank some nice color variety. I would personally recommend against adding the JD and look for something a little smaller. You already have a salvini, which get fairly large and will likely be the boss of the tank.

I'd recommend another small/mid sized Cichlid and possibly trying a school of tetras. Unless the salvini starts picking them off, it would give the tank some nice movement.

I'm not sure how well your plants will fair with these cichlids, but good luck!

Giant Danios work as dither fish, too. They are bigger and less likely to be eaten.

From what I have seen, many Jewel Cichlids are very washed out like that at the store. It will probably regain its coloration as it settles in to your tank.

Or you could go with a larger, robust, but peaceful cichlid, like rotkeil severums or uaru cichlids. They are both able to hold their own with slightly more aggressive cichlids, or can be housed with peaceful cichlids. Just a thought :) As for the jewel, it will be just fine, as they are riverine africans, not rift lake cichlids. They prefer soft acid waters like many SA cichlids do

Or you could go with a larger, robust, but peaceful cichlid, like rotkeil severums or uaru cichlids. They are both able to hold their own with slightly more aggressive cichlids, or can be housed with peaceful cichlids. Just a thought :) As for the jewel, it will be just fine, as they are riverine africans, not rift lake cichlids. They prefer soft acid waters like many SA cichlids do

Good comment about the jewel and general recommendations FG.

I should also comment that the tank looks very nice and clean. However, you may want to add more rocky/wood decor to support territories, especially if you plan on adding another cichlid.

let's just say what we are all clearly thinking...no tank is complete without a nice medium-sized pike.

Back
Top Bottom