New CO2 tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aam4987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm upgrading from the DIY CO2 system, to the pressurized system. I got a 5lb tank, an inexpensive regulator (until I do more research on them), the CO2 tubing, and a diffuser. I plan to get some sort of reactor to replace the diffuser at some point.

I am unsure about one thing though.. after I attached the regulator to the CO2 tank, plugged in the solenoid, and opened the needle valve slightly, bubbles came through. What I don't get, is how there are bubbles coming through into the bubble counter, if the CO2 tank itself is closed tight?? Maybe I just don't completely understand how this thing works.

Any ideas would be great!

Attachments

• 20190201_181716.jpg
    20190201_181716.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20190201_181237.jpg
    20190201_181237.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190201_181821.jpg
    20190201_181821.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 50
There us still pressure within the solenoid / bubble counter / regulator. Even though the tank is closed, the pressure within the other 3 things will still allow some bubbles through. Nothing to be worried about, the bubbles will stop with time.

There us still pressure within the solenoid / bubble counter / regulator. Even though the tank is closed, the pressure within the other 3 things will still allow some bubbles through. Nothing to be worried about, the bubbles will stop with time.

The bubbles did end up stopping. I turned the tank on a little. Installed drop checker today.. the liquid in the drop checker is still blue.. so maybe not enough CO2, but we shall see!

The bubbles did end up stopping. I turned the tank on a little. Installed drop checker today.. the liquid in the drop checker is still blue.. so maybe not enough CO2, but we shall see!

Buy a pH pen from Amazon, calibrate it (buy one that comes with calibration fluid) and measure pH just BEFORE the CO2 comes on.

Mark that pH measurement down.

Then, wait until you believe CO2 is at its max concentration for the day, typically an hour before up until the CO2 turns off for the day, measure pH again.

The difference in pH should be a full 1.0 drop if you are looking to maximize CO2 concentrations. You can likely get to a 1.2 - 1.3 peak drop in pH.

This is a more accurate way at measuring pH that a drop checker. Use the drop checker as a quick reference.

Buy a pH pen from Amazon, calibrate it (buy one that comes with calibration fluid) and measure pH just BEFORE the CO2 comes on.

Then, wait until you believe CO2 is at its max concentration for the day, typically an hour before up until the CO2 turns off for the day, measure pH again.

The difference in pH should be a full 1.0 drop if you are looking to maximize CO2 concentrations. You can likely get to a 1.2 - 1.3 peak drop in pH.

This is a more accurate way at measuring pH that a drop checker. Use the drop checker as a quick reference.

Ok, I will do this! Thank you for this information!

Back
Top Bottom