New community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessaathena0822

Aquarium Advice Activist
A little while ago my male betta passed away, so I’ve been cleaning an empty tank/:

I was thinking that since it’s already cycled, I’d start a female betta sorority. I wanted to know how I would go about this?

It is a 20 gallon long, has two 50w hydor heaters, two 10G aqueon quietflow internal filters, some live plants, and a finnex stingray LED light. I also have some decorations but not much.

I’m going to get some driftwood and probably more decorations with caves for them to hide in once they establish pecking order.

I also wanted to get some catfish as well to help with extra cleaning, and maybe a different type of fish as well. Not sure what yet.

I’d like to know:

• How many bettas I should get (I know they should probably be different colors but also from the same spawn if possible.

• What is a reputable online breeder I can get them from. My last bettas from my LFS died within 6-8 months despite me trying my best to keep them healthy.

• What type of catfish and how many I should get.

• What other fish I should get, if possible, and how many I should get.

I do weekly water changes of about 20-25%, with treated tap water (I use API stress coat) but I have an RODI unit because I have a saltwater tank, and I want to know if it’s okay to keep the tap water, but I’m not opposed to using RODI water and adding supplements.

Sorry this post is so long, I really want to do this right!

A little while ago my male betta passed away, so I’ve been cleaning an empty tank/:

I was thinking that since it’s already cycled, I’d start a female betta sorority. I wanted to know how I would go about this?

It is a 20 gallon long, has two 50w hydor heaters, two 10G aqueon quietflow internal filters, some live plants, and a finnex stingray LED light. I also have some decorations but not much.

I’m going to get some driftwood and probably more decorations with caves for them to hide in once they establish pecking order.

I also wanted to get some catfish as well to help with extra cleaning, and maybe a different type of fish as well. Not sure what yet.

I’d like to know:

• How many bettas I should get (I know they should probably be different colors but also from the same spawn if possible.

• What is a reputable online breeder I can get them from. My last bettas from my LFS died within 6-8 months despite me trying my best to keep them healthy.

• What type of catfish and how many I should get.

• What other fish I should get, if possible, and how many I should get.

I do weekly water changes of about 20-25%, with treated tap water (I use API stress coat) but I have an RODI unit because I have a saltwater tank, and I want to know if it’s okay to keep the tap water, but I’m not opposed to using RODI water and adding supplements.

Sorry this post is so long, I really want to do this right!

1. I'd say 5 or 6
2. Not ordered bettas online before so I don't have any firsthand experience but check aquabid.com and check the sellers feedback.
3. I'd go with a corydoras species or an oto. Maybe something like 6-8 bronze cories.
4. A small schooling fish like harlequin rasboras, neon tetras, ruby tetras, etc 8ish

I would start doing 50% water changes though. I think the tap water should be perfectly fine.

1. I'd say 5 or 6
2. Not ordered bettas online before so I don't have any firsthand experience but check aquabid.com and check the sellers feedback.
3. I'd go with a corydoras species or an oto. Maybe something like 6-8 bronze cories.
4. A small schooling fish like harlequin rasboras, neon tetras, ruby tetras, etc 8ish

I would start doing 50% water changes though. I think the tap water should be perfectly fine.

Thank you so much!! I will start looking into everything. I love aquabid LOL!

I can absolutely do 50% water changes, anything to keep them healthy!

Now, should I put in the other fish before the bettas or add them all at once? I don’t want there to be fighting but I also don’t want to have too much bioload.

Add them all in together that way none of them can establish territory and fight new ones, then do a 50% wc the day after to help with the bioload and you should be good. There will be some fighting in them just figuring out who's the boss, but it's fine as long as none of them are too aggressive to the point of death

EBay has some Gorgeous Betta's right now. And have females from same spawn. And I'd go with Otto's catfish about 2-3. They would love your plants. They do also like a little water flow in the tank. As for other fish just try not to get the ones with long pretty tails like the fancy guppies. Black Molly's would look very nice and bring the balance of color to the tank and other fish. Sorry to hear about your Betta. Hope this new year will bring you better luck. Have a happier new year!

Add them all in together that way none of them can establish territory and fight new ones, then do a 50% wc the day after to help with the bioload and you should be good. There will be some fighting in them just figuring out who's the boss, but it's fine as long as none of them are too aggressive to the point of death

Thank you so much!

EBay has some Gorgeous Betta's right now. And have females from same spawn. And I'd go with Otto's catfish about 2-3. They would love your plants. They do also like a little water flow in the tank. As for other fish just try not to get the ones with long pretty tails like the fancy guppies. Black Molly's would look very nice and bring the balance of color to the tank and other fish. Sorry to hear about your Betta. Hope this new year will bring you better luck. Have a happier new year!

Okay thank you so much! I Hope you have a happy new year as well :)

Back
Top Bottom