New coral turning white!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobdlaw610

Aquarium Advice Freak
Amm 0
Rite 0
Rate 0
Ph 8.3
Phos 0
Calcium 340
Kh 125.3
Mg1400
Salin 1.024
Cu 0

I am posting a pic of the lighting specs and the coral any help is appreciated. Not many polyps are out not sure if lighting was to much I moved him lower in tank now

Attachments

• image-2438227184.jpg
    image-2438227184.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 119
  • image-747418712.jpg
    image-747418712.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 92
Is the coral getting enough water flow? Corals especially Sps requires a lot of water flow to help remove buildup on their skeleton that inhibits polyp extension. Moving it to a higher flow area may aid on that problem IME. As for the bleaching, they do that in reaction to light changes. Depending on the lights they are used to.

He is in good flow I was worried about the light guess I will have to wait and see

I got a frag of bird of paradise birdsnest before. They were under t5's in the seller's tank and I had HQI metal halides. I thought it was going die since it bleached out and turned all white. After a month the color went back and it looks like nothing happened. Hope that's the case with your frag

How long have you had it? They will go into light shock and start to bleach if too high up and not acclimated. They will also do bad if not receiving enough light.

Had it two days and at top of tank lfs said to put him there after researching I put him at the bottom

If I'm reading your water parameters correctly your calcium is pretty low. Try getting it between 400 - 500.

Start new corals at the bottom or lower half. Move it up over a few days or a week. It should start to open up in a few days with where you have it.

Yeah alk is as well looking for something to dose now do you have any recommendations

It almost looks like tissue is missing. Was it slowly acclimated? They are temperamental when it comes to sudden changes.

Yeah alk is as well looking for something to dose now do you have any recommendations

I use reef code A. Not sure who makes it. I'm away from home. Reef code B is for alk. but be careful with the B as its easy to get your alk too high.

Amm 0
Rite 0
Rate 0
Ph 8.3
Phos 0
Calcium 340
Kh 125.3
Mg1400
Salin 1.024
Cu 0

I am posting a pic of the lighting specs and the coral any help is appreciated. Not many polyps are out not sure if lighting was to much I moved him lower in tank now

I see two issues with your param
calcium is a little low 380-420 is ideal
Kh looks like is way to high ideal is 7-10

If kh is really that high it burning the tissue off the coral.

How long have you had the tank setup? SPS corals do best in well established, mature tanks with very high lighting. If I read the description of your lighting right, you only have a 4 bulb fixture.

Yeah another member on here has the same fixture and has had success with it showed some pics an his tank is growing nice

Back
Top Bottom