New Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albastaki

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New Discus, Need Help plz!

Hello all!

I have recently joined the fresh water world! at the moment i have 4 discus and 4 angels in my 150g (600L) tank, I am planning to get more discus into it, as i am interest in discus more than other type of fish. I will really appreciate it if someone can answer my question.

1- How many discus fish should i keep in this size of aquarium?
2- How can I distinguish between the male and the female of discus?
3- What is a good schooling fish (small size) to keep with discus?

thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1843.jpg
    IMG_1843.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1852.jpg
    IMG_1852.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1853.jpg
    IMG_1853.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Hello, and welcome to AA! We're glad you found us. :)

Wow, it looks like you have started out with some nice fish. Congrats! Your discus are beautiful and I love that blue zebra that you showed in the second pic too. I keep discus, but I am far from an expert on the subject, so I suppose you should take my advice with a grain of salt... or, at least double check it. ;)

1- you have a big tank and IMO you could add 4-6 more discus if you don't plan to keep anything but discus and angels.
2- I couldn't really tell you. With that many discus in your tank though, I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up with at least one pair.
3- I like Corydoras sterbai with discus. They are better suited than other Corydoras to the higher temps that discus like. Or, you could try some of the less boisterous tetras, like cardinals or rummynose.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to AA! Great start. Those fish are gorgeous! :)

That's true
But Discus are extremely shy & angels are aggressive eaters & they will out compete the Discus when they eat

Dear all,

Merry Xmas!!!!!
and
thanks a lot for all your replies, and i apologize for the late reply; I was away for work.

as Severum said, In my case its the discus fish who comes flying for food, where my angels are slow moving and they seem shy :S!

I think tetras are nice, any advice of the number of tetras I better keep? 6-12-24?

one more thing, I am confused about how many time i should feed my discus, some say once a day is enough and other says 3 times, i will really appreciate any help in this regard :D

:welcome: to AA! :)

Merry Christmas to you too! :)

You could keep a nice shoal of six to seven discus in there.

What tetras do you want? Cardinal and rummynose tetras like the higher temperatures discus and angels like and are angel-safe IMO.

I really don't know. Perhaps it depends how big they are and mature that correlates to when and how much you feed them.

Back
Top Bottom