New dwarf cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I went to the LFS today. I bought
1. Pseudo Kenyi
1. Pseudo Demasoni
1. Rustie Cichlid

I also have 4 zebra danios. The LFS guy is very knowledgeable. So I went in looking for 2 Bolivian rams and a apistogramma or krib. They were out of bolivians (coming in tommmorow grr! its all the way across town too!!). So he recommended those 3. After research I realized Rusties need calm cichlids and Kenyi and Demasoni aren't good together. So my question will 1 male demasoni and 1 female kenyi be okay together. Both 2 months old.

Sillyfishies said:
I went to the LFS today. I bought
1. Pseudo Kenyi
1. Pseudo Demasoni
1. Rustie Cichlid

I also have 4 zebra danios. The LFS guy is very knowledgeable. So I went in looking for 2 Bolivian rams and a apistogramma or krib. They were out of bolivians (coming in tommmorow grr! its all the way across town too!!). So he recommended those 3. After research I realized Rusties need calm cichlids and Kenyi and Demasoni aren't good together. So my question will 1 male demasoni and 1 female kenyi be okay together. Both 2 months old.

Did you put those with the Danios and planning on putting those with the others you mentioned? I'm trying to understand what your saying :)

The female has got to go or you need to get a couple more

I put those with the zebra danios. And I spent all the money I had on these fish... So i can't really rehome...

Your lfs saleperson that seemed knowledgeable just convinced you to make a very poor decision in husbandry. Please from now on save youself the stress and headache by just running it by some people that aren't gonna profit off of your decision :) .. we are always glad to help so even if your at the store throw up a post and you may get a very quick response but the best thing for you when trying to stock cichlids is reseach

Mrc8858 said:
Your lfs saleperson that seemed knowledgeable just convinced you to make a very poor decision in husbandry. Please from now on save youself the stress and headache by just running it by some people that aren't gonna profit off of your decision :) .. we are always glad to help so even if your at the store throw up a post and you may get a very quick response but the best thing for you when trying to stock cichlids is reseach

It was the store owners son. But he could say the scientific names and origin off the top of its head :/.... The rusty only get 3" though right,

Unfortunately, I agree. You got some really bad advice IMO.

Andrew McFadden said:
4" that I know of

Thanks. I'll try to make it work :/... Also the rusty has 2 dots on its ana fin what is it? My dad was the one the noticed it. I've never seen a single disease ridden fish in this place. And the water quality is crazy.

Sillyfishies said:
Thanks. I'll try to make it work :/... Also the rusty has 2 dots on its ana fin what is it? My dad was the one the noticed it. I've never seen a single disease ridden fish in this place. And the water quality is crazy.

They are called egg spots its normal all african Cichlids have them. Well I shouldn't say all but in the aquarium most of all have them. They are used when breeding

Andrew McFadden said:
They are called egg spots its normal all african Cichlids have them. Well I shouldn't say all but in the aquarium most of all have them. They are used when breeding

Thank you. And I do remember he told us that they are bred to stay a smaller size. They were all on the small fish side exept the rusty. Which he is the biggest right now. They are all 1 1/2" exept the rusty is 2 or 2 1/2".

Also I bought some NLS therma + A sinking pellets. Is that a good food? Also the rusty when he first got in was really dark because it was a long ride home. He's starting to get a violet tint to his sides. When will he show his colors again?

Sillyfishies said:
Also I bought some NLS therma + A sinking pellets. Is that a good food? Also the rusty when he first got in was really dark because it was a long ride home. He's starting to get a violet tint to his sides. When will he show his colors again?

Nls is what most of us feed african Cichlids you may want to feed peas and cucumbers a couple times a week aswell. It shouldn't be long for the rusty to show colors again.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but at an inch and half I seriously doubt that your Kenyi is sexable. IMO you may very well have a male. You won't know until they get larger.

The claim that the fish were bred to stay smaller than normal is totally bogus IMO. You have not gotten good advice from the LFS, but hey, I'm not judging, because I have done exactly the same thing (as most of us here probably have). With just one specimen of 3 species, my guess is that they'll probably be ok for a while, and once they get some size on them the most aggressive fish will harass the others to death. Stress can kill fish and you may not even witness outright attacks. It is up to you to decide what to do now. Here is some basic info about the fish you have. Hope this helps.

Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum

severum mama said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but at an inch and half I seriously doubt that your Kenyi is sexable. IMO you may very well have a male. You won't know until they get larger.

The claim that the fish were bred to stay smaller than normal is totally bogus IMO. You have not gotten good advice from the LFS, but hey, I'm not judging, because I have done exactly the same thing (as most of us here probably have). With just one specimen of 3 species, my guess is that they'll probably be ok for a while, and once they get some size on them the most aggressive fish will harass the others to death. Stress can kill fish and you may not even witness outright attacks. It is up to you to decide what to do now. Here is some basic info about the fish you have. Hope this helps.

Agreed, glad you said it and not me :)

severum mama said:

Thank you! Here's some pics. Also like I said earlier I spent all my money on these fish. It was 41$ for the fish and an extra 20$ for the food. Hopefully in the future I can get a bigger tank for them. I will rehome if I have to :(.

Attachments

• image-1257518853.jpg
    image-1257518853.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2591116402.jpg
    image-2591116402.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2535139118.jpg
    image-2535139118.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 82
Looks to me like a maturing Kenyi. Notice how the stripes are starting to fade. If he starts to turn yellow, you got a male.

Demasoni are aggressive. Watch out for fights between him (if it is a him) and the Kenyi. If the demasoni is a female, expect cross breeding since the Kenyi will likely think it is a female Kenyi.

Reactions: HN1
Malawi Freak said:
Looks to me like a maturing Kenyi. Notice how the stripes are starting to fade. If he starts to turn yellow, you got a male.

Demasoni are aggressive. Watch out for fights between him (if it is a him) and the Kenyi. If the demasoni is a female, expect cross breeding since the Kenyi will likely think it is a female Kenyi.

Wait... I thought the demasoni was the Kenyi and vice versa. I was right until my dad convinced me other wise... Hopefully that is the female... The demasoni is the peaceful one actually. The Kenyi chases it every once in a while then they are happy again. Oh I hope the Kenyi is a female because I don't really like the golden color. As these will prob be my only 3 fish until I get a tank big enough for them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom